Panzer Kampfwagen V Panther Ausf. G (Fruhe)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, for my birthday, I got another 1/35 Tamiya Panther, but this time it came with PE Zimmerit! I had a book, Panther In Action (which I cannot find right now! :evil: ), but I do recall a paint scheme of all Panzer Schwarzgrau. I'm not sure if it was of an Ausf. G, or if there were even any Panthers painted like this, as I haven't seen any pictures of them with this scheme. I wonder if anyone can help me out with this one. I love that all gray scheme, but won't do it if it's inaccurate. There's no rush at all, as I have to finish my Dora before I can start.

Thanks!

Hi Cory. I've only ever seen B&W pics of Panthers in what MIGHT have been the colour shown in the link, and then only a few, very late war. (Ie March - My '45). As you know, the base colour for all vehicles changed to 'Dark Yellow', with, or without, disruptive patches/stripes/mottle of greens/browns/wine-red. If it has Zimmeritt, then it will almost certainly have been painted, as this anti-magnetic mune paste was a light grey in colour. The colour in the link pics I suspect is factory finish undercoat, to get the vehicle out into the field quickly. Depending on the period you wish to portray, and if using the Zimmeritt, I would think a single colour of the sand, or sand with the other colours would be OK. Of course, if you know which unit etc, and can find reference pics, then it'll be a bit easier! Charles Bronson's 'Panther' thread should be very useful for this.

Unfortunately Terry, I don't have a clue as to which unit the painting I saw is from, I only know that it's a later Ausf. G with the revised gun mantlet (I have the early one of course), and that it was based in Berlin. There is a really neat scheme that came with the kit, which has a LOT of the rotbraun, so I'll probably end up doing that one as I don't know if I can get the kind of info I need to do a gray one. And I forgot about Bronson's thread, I'll go find it. Thanks Terry!

Cory, which one of the two did you mean?

Attachments

• panther g.jpg
    panther g.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 167
  • panther g_.jpg
    panther g_.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 152
Only the late model 'G' Jan.
Cory, now that I've seen the profile you meant, it's ringing bells. As you can see, the Panther has the Zimmeritt, in the distinctive 'tile pattern', so the colour must be painted over the top. I remember speaking to a Police Patrol driver I used to know, who's father had been in the Waffen SS (!) as a Panther commander, near the end of the war. I can onlly presume that what he told me is correct and that was, apparently, that colour scheme was designed to be more effective in built-up areas and cities, blending-in more than the 'sand' and 'stripes' pattern, which makes sense. If the armour was going to deployed in towns and cities, then it would certainly be a better colour scheme. This is borne out by the colours worn by British Chieftains of the Berlin Squadron, up to the late '80's, which had an overall mid-grey paint scheme, with rectangles and squares of brown, different greys, and white. Looked very strange, but surprisingly effective!

That's interesting info Terry, thanks! Good to know I'd be ok to do that scheme, as I love it! It's actually not all dark gray, but it actually has thin brown lines. Now, that's a later model G, as the gun mantlet shows, and I have the early, but I still think I could get away with it.

Hehe, I'll get started once my Dora's done. I may have to put it on hold, depending on how long the EE decals take to arrive. If that's the case I'll start it then.

Well, as you can tell, I lied about when I'd be starting it! Well, not completely, I put the Zimmerit on. I WILL be starting it over the next few days, it depends when I can get to a model shop to get paints, but I'll start removing other pieces and the like. I don't have anything else that I can do for the PTO build at this time (MAYBE the Helldiver when it comes in, I'll have to see), so I'll be focusing on this! Tanks don't really take me very long, so even if the Helldiver comes in early enough, I should have enough time to do both.

Hey Cory, I'll build a tank with you if you like, a Mini Armour GB! 8)

I've got a 1/35 Panzer IV I want to build when I get the GB Havoc done.

Short barrel, it's the Tamiya kit. I think I'll build the Afrika Korps version. It's gonna be dusty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back