Pastels.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I used an Exacto knife and scraped into a small container. Added water and a drop of dishwashing liquid and "waaa-bammm!" - instant weathering goop. What I really liked Jan is I would do one section, then fiddle with something else and maybe a day or two later I would need the pastel mix again, (it was dried up in the container) just add some water, maybe alittle more liquid and it was solvent again.

Make sure you have a coat of gloss on first. If you make a mistake, it cleans up real easy.

I've used oil pastels on old sail ship models with great effect. The trick was to mix it into a wash with turpintine. The other way was to draw a line I wanted then use a short stiple brush to scrub the color in a single direction. When using turpintine, it is best to use lightly on paint that has had a chance to dry for atleast three days. Otherwise the turpintine will eat through the paint. That ship model I used it on ended up in the U.S. Naval museum in Monterey California.

Has anyone thought of using soot from a fireplace and the ashes from an ashtray? One model store near me wants $7 for a small bottle of soot. Luckily my mother has a fireplace and I am going to get a jar of it from her.

Have also wondered about using certain womens make up colors and brushes.

Just trying to think of other items that can be also used.

I have used pencil lead shavings to for smudges. Hobby Lobby and Michaels craft stores are great with tons of art supplies.

In painting, makeup brushes are good for blending colors together because the bristles are light and supple, atleast on canvas. The applicator brushes are good for dry brushing effects. The graphite in pencils, I find, are good for worn areas on metal surfaces. Shavings from charcoal pencils are also good for smuges. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back