PBY CATALINA (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did you take an Evelyn Wood speed building course or what ??? Can't wait to see if finished !

Ahoy Bustedwing
Thanks very much for your reply sir on my Dumbo I been known as a fast builder I always build fast perhaps I should slow down but its a flaw of my Charater but I can except it no harm I just build fast and start another without out getting tuckered out. For a 72 year old fart in the wind modeling keeps me healthy and young good medicine who needs Geritol LOLLLLLLlllllllllllllllll.

boats

Ahoy Lucky 13
Thanks for the info a lot of food for thought here. I been having second thoughts here about the paint schedule on the PBY, I been pondering on a decission what color schedule. I made up my mind I am goping to paint it like the picture above Tri color of Dark gull gray over light gull gray and white surpriseing enought the kit comes with thesame decals as the picture above atlantic color schedule it is. thanks man

Boats

Ahoy fellas

Here is the update for now more this evening as the PBY continues and getting there at this stage of the construction I am primeing and spot filling the fuselage assembly until perfectly smooth and ready fore the final primeing, Alot of work here no complaints here just another build here it is fellas.
Boats

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 88
D*mn good work mate! Will look great in that scheme I'm sure, will add that to my Cats as well I think, Black Cat (VP/VPB-33), Dumbo and the Tricolour, maybe a Morocco based VP-93 was it or -63(?), or a Iceland/Greenland based bird.

Carry on mate!

Last edited:
Hi "Boats".... just saw this thread, and it interests me because I am an old balsa and tissue builder. I've never sheeted a fuselage, altho I have planked a few. Unless I miss my guess, you are going to have an awful lot of filling and sanding to do. However, seeing what you have accomplished in a short time, I have no doubts that you will succeed. I do some balsa/tissue myself..... have a look:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/my-bf-109-a-10128.html?highlight=

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/my-stuka-11074.html?highlight=

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/my-fw-190-a-9809.html?highlight=

Charles

Ahoy ccheese
Thank you for your reply on my PBY yes I have a lot of fillijng and priming to do but most of it is done as of now I am spotting in with filler and primer paint until smooth most of the saqwdust is gone I had a pile such a nice day I went outside and got some sunshine on my hide and did the sanding, all is left on the fuselage is open up the wheel wells and detail same give the flyingboat a final coat of primer and go to gthe tail feathers there is a lot to do I normally dont fill in the fuselage with balsa skins on stick and tissue models but with the Dumbo I decided to beef her up she is big and can handel the extra work I am putting in to her. Your builds I just got done reviewing are done very very well your a top builder and they look swell Hardy Well done. thanks once more fo0r your reply I am greatfull.

Boats

Ahoy Tony
Thank you for your reply a model this size with all the saqnding I have done there was a molehill full of sawdust, with these last two Beautifull sunny days we had here in Ohio land I took the advantage of doing some sanding outside and got some sun on my hide, Still have a little more sanding most of it is done as of now I am spot filling inperfections on the fuselage and priming same. tomorrow I will open up the wheel wells and detail samke and give the ship a final primer coat and go to the tail feathers, Thanks tony for your reply.

Boats

Boats, great job mate, look forward to seeing you splash some colour on her..

Ahoy Wayne
thanks for the reply sir I second that cant waite for the finishing colors it will be here before you kinow it its time consuming on the fuselage but I have nothing but time. thanks Wayne for your always wonderfull replies sir.

Boats

Ahoy
Here is the update for the day more tomorrow. so far the build is going very well at this end. As for the updates I have opened and filled in the wheel wells which in turn they will be detailed out useing cardstock material. along with the opeings of the wheel wells I am spotting out the fuselage imperfections with filler and priming as I go along.. After i get the wheel wells and few imperfections filled in I will add the canopy and the nose observation turret on the nose of the ship. they have to be masked off and filled with bondo glazeing putty and final primed along with the fuselage. then i will detail out thye wheel wells and install the undercarriage. Here is the updates fellas./

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 67
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 91
Good on you Boats ! That will look kick ass when it's done. One of these days I might do a kit like that. I would love to have a huge plane hanging from my workshop ceiling. The biggest thing I have done was a steel biplane weather vane with about a 2 foot wingspan but it's out in the back yard.

Great work Boats, it's really looking the part.
Here are some detail shots of the wheel wells I took at Duxford, specifically for modellers. Hope they help.

Attachments

• Czech 064.jpg
    Czech 064.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Czech 065.jpg
    Czech 065.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Czech 066.jpg
    Czech 066.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 80
Great work Boats, it's really looking the part.
Here are some detail shots of the wheel wells I took at Duxford, specifically for modellers. Hope they help.

Ahoy Terry
Thank you for the pictures it opens up the doors in thyis build that is exactly how I am goinjg to detail the wheel wells good reference material in the kit it dont show that detail, I thi8nk the designers over seen the detail they designed the undercarriage short to the pioint with no forsight its all up to the modler. thanks Terry I have another update coming up.

boats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back