Pic size? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
A wee question.....
Does this new forum (which I quite like) style, support what we used to have sometime ago, even though if pics were different in pixel is it, they always were in the same size on the forum....whenever I resize my pics, which nowadays has become 800x450 instead for the usual 800x600, they still tend to be rather large, particularly if they're in portrait style....

If a picture is attached as full sized. The forum with resize it based on the screen size of the viewer. Then if you click on the image it will expand it to actual size.

Since the forum changes layout based on size of the viewport...ex. desktop monitor, tablet, or phone. It will change the image to accommodate the smaller or larger screens.

Is that what you're curious about?

Sounds about right buddy....
I remember (here we go) back in the day, I occasionally posted large attachments, before that bucket thingy etc., etc., and now resizing on my mobile, that tended be very large, but....on the forum, they were always in perfectly acceptable size, you couldn't tell that they actually were LARGE x LARGE!
Haven't used a computer for a long while here, mostly use my mobile or tablet....

It does a good job on changing layout for those mobile devices. Since they have a different aspect ratio (more portrait) than desktops that's probably why the images seem larger in the height vs width.

Jan, If I want to post pics on the forum I first email them to myself. When I hit send a popup will happen and ask what size of pic to send
  1. Small - 47kb
  2. Medium - 134kb
  3. Large - 402kb
  4. Actual Size - 1.1mb
For me, the large works the best but you can test the medium as well. Once I receive them in the email, I save them again and then post them

A question though. If the forum "resizes" the pics so they appear correct, is the size of the file retained? If so, we should not encourage people to simply upload high resolution pics thinking that they will come out fine. There are some threads which take longer to load for me as it seems the pics are very large.

The original image is retained. So it is fine to upload higher res images.
You can click on them to view at their original resolution.

The loading is an issue. You still must download the original image, the resizing takes place in javascript.

Most of the images should be hosted on Amazon AWS w/ Cloudfront distribution. But some posts still have lots of content to download.

I don't mind resize the pics, is 800x600 still the preferred size, as it only takes a few seconds....
Was just curious, if this new forum, have the same possibilities, capabilities, as the old version....

Bumpus Maximus as someone puts it....
I kinda miss that, even if pics are in a different size, they were the same when posted here....
Is it just me, I think that it looks better in the forums, when pics are all in the same size, instead for 48 different ones....in the same thread! 😉

I like to keep the height of mine at 725 pixels, seems to fit the screen. The first is 800...

1580733973981.png

This is 725...

1580734042764.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back