Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

good spot Dogsbody, didnt notice that myself, maybe his lucky rifle ?

Possibly, or maybe weapon of choice. Although the bolt and action on the No.4 were excellent, and probably the fastest ever made, the SMLE, overall, was a better weapon, being virtually hand-made, and generally regarded as more accurate (in the right hands) than the much later No.4 - more so with 'match' or selected ammunition.

Australian soldiers digging in after capturing "the pimple" on Shaggy Ridge, December 43.

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for revealing the previously unknown Battle of Panama. I heard Japanese subs where also sighted off of Coney Island.
I wasn't aware that any action ever happened in Panama. The Germans and Japanese both had plans, but they never materialized.

And it's possible that a German U-Boat could have been sighted off Coney Island, as the U-Boats operated along the eastern seaboard quite freely for several years. The Japanese, on the otherhand, did attack California several times via submarine (extremely limited, however).

Love the movie "1941"
That was a great movie (and Speilberg did a great job with the props) and according to Speilberg, it was inspired by that "air raid" of 1942

Seen here, are 55 gallon drum fire bombs released by 7th AF just above airstrip No.2 on Iwo Jima, 1 February 1945. By the way, the "fins" were made of plywood...

USAAF_picture14[720].jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back