Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Searchlights pierce the night sky during an air-raid practice on Gibraltar, 20 November 1942.

large.jpg

Looks like a tired MkI (possibly MkII), serial number ? 4562 (Possibly P or R). I've seen the pic somewhere before, taken at a RN training base, but can't remember where or when. I'd need to check the serial to establish what/where/when etc.
Just wondering what the guy on the wing is doing - the fuel tank filler is above and behind him, and, as far as I know, the oil tank filler wasn't in the wing root, and that looks like an oil tanker trailer behind the tractor.
Presumably a posed shot for PR purposes - especially as the ratings are in whatever they call that uniform rig, and not 'working dress' overalls.

Looks like a tired MkI (possibly MkII), serial number ? 4562 (Possibly P or R). I've seen the pic somewhere before, taken at a RN training base, but can't remember where or when. I'd need to check the serial to establish what/where/when etc.
Just wondering what the guy on the wing is doing - the fuel tank filler is above and behind him, and, as far as I know, the oil tank filler wasn't in the wing root, and that looks like an oil tanker trailer behind the tractor.
Presumably a posed shot for PR purposes - especially as the ratings are in whatever they call that uniform rig, and not 'working dress' overalls.

Spitfire production summary

I think Jan's Spitfire photo is a victim of cororizing a B&W photograph that was taken with slightly high contrast and a shallow depth-of-field.

So the end result makes it look almost staged with models in a way.

Here's another photograph of a Spitfire taken with almost the same depth-of-field and then colorized. I almost suspect it was the same photographer by the look of it. See how some parts of the photograph almost looks like a diorama?

Anyway, this is a Spitfire Mk Vb of No. 222 Squadron RAF, Not sure of the date.

Spitfire_MkVb_No222Sqdn.jpg

Yep, I think that's the one. The first letter of the serial looked like 'X', until I enlarged it, then it was difficult to tell. And Henstridge rings a bell, as the location, from the caption where I've seen the photo before - just got to find out where I saw it !!
BTW, these might be actual colour originals, although perhaps 'enhanced' since original exposure, as I think they're some of the work of Charles Brown, from his PR shots, specially posed. Apart from the beautiful air to air shots he's famous for, he also produced many photos for the Services, and Ministry of Information etc, for publication, some specially posed, and others, of actual tasks being undertaken, although again, at least partly posed, at specially-organised Press days at various bases.
The giveaway is normally the number of ground crew in attendance, and the uni forms being worn for the occasion - often 'best blues', which would never be worn for day to day work on dirty aircraft.
A very well known photo showing this, is the one of a Halifax Mk1, of 76 Sqn, where there are twice as many ground crew as normal, all specifically positioned across the width of the composition, as if they're 'doing something', even though they're not. In this instance, the personnel were issued brand-new uniforms, especially for the photo, which were quickly recovered back to Stores immediately after the photo shoot!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• GTX
Back