PISTON ENGINE AIRCRAFT JET KILLS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was called rat catching, attacking 262s on take off or landing runs since they were the most vulnerable at that time. The reality is most 262 kills were made in this manner.

1945 is getting coverd so please hold off the late spring of the year comments ok ? Rat Catching is coverd earlier when this was started up so I am advising for your reading pleasure to read past posts so this will not be a repeat

2 of January 45 no losses without any operations

3 of Janauary 45

Lt. Erich Kaiser is lost flying a 262A-2a from 2./KG(J)51 during a flight in the area of Lingen/Ems.
439 Typhoon squadron mix it up with Me 262A-2a's from KG 51 but no claims reported.
Major Rudi Sinner takes over command of Stab III./JG 7 from ace Erich Hohagen and moves with 11th staffel to Brandenburg-Briest. 9th staffel goes to Parchim and 10th staffel goes to Oranienburg. Theo Weissenberger takes over as CO of JG 7 from Macky Steinhoff and then the fun begins . . . . then the revenge on "FATTY"

5 January 45

pressing concerns by the US heavy bombardment generals of the continuation of the sightings of Jets in the air and that top priority for the US heavy bombers to plaster all Me 262/jet production and facilities.

another gruppe added to KG(J) 54's arsenal, not that it is going to help them much .............

6 Janaury no jet ops
7 January 10./EJG 2 pilot Unteroffizier Helmut Schmidt is injured during a crash of his Me 262 during landing approach. III./EJG 2 receives it's new Gruppenkommandeur Obst.Leutnant Heinz Bär.
8 January no jet ops but a silly order for the jabos of KG 51, with their jets to break up US P-47 formations to make them drop their bombs early ...........
9 Janaury no jet ops
10 Janaury 12 Me 262's from I./KG 51 support ground units around Hagenau. 2 pilots crash land their 262's one made out alive the last one killed.
11 Janaury no jet ops
12 Janaury 10./EJG 2 pilot Gefreiter Ferd Sagmeister killed near Kleinaitingen. (sp. ?)

Yep, that was the easiest way for allied pilots to catch 262's either on take-off or landing. Here is a painting of Yeager's jet kill...

Attachments

• Chuck Yeager's first Jet Kill.jpg
    Chuck Yeager's first Jet Kill.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 158
What the hell...

Gnomey, are you positive on this? So is that painting showing the alleged "jet kill" claimed by that loud mouth?

Chuck Y. shot up this Kommando Nowotny jet and it crash-landed given as a kill to Chuck. Chuck also damaged 2 other jets before this incident on the same November 44 date while in combat. The jets were obviously overwhelmed by numbers of 357th fg Stangs

I think a Skyraider pilot got a Mig in Vietnam. Can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think he got jumped during a ground attack run. The Mig overshot the AD-1 just in time for the panicked Spad pilot to pull up and let everything loose. I mean everything. Ouch!

V-1710 said:
I think a Skyraider pilot got a Mig in Vietnam. Can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think he got jumped during a ground attack run. The Mig overshot the AD-1 just in time for the panicked Spad pilot to pull up and let everything loose. I mean everything. Ouch!
Actually 2 skyraiders shared the kill...

http://skyraider.org/skyassn/sartapes/migkill/migkill.htm

Udet said:
What the hell...

Gnomey, are you positive on this? So is that painting showing the alleged "jet kill" claimed by that loud mouth?
I agree about him being a big mouth - but he did get the kill.

Erich said:
hmmm I just gave you Chuck Y's scenario. He got a confirmed and 2 others damaged in Nov. 44
That you did!!
Erich - to me you're word is golden! ;)

If I get a chance I'm going to start going through these and place them in chronological order.

Yeager was a typical pilot he talked the talk but better then that he walked the walk he is the atypical fighter pilot better yet a supreme pilot

pbfoot said:
Yeager was a typical pilot he talked the talk but better then that he walked the walk he is the atypical fighter pilot better yet a supreme pilot
I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, one of those lovely occasions he totally insulted and embarrassed a safety guy at the Edwards AFB aero club (the guy was an F-16 driver, test pilot and a USAF Major). It's one thing to be proud of your achievements (and there's no denying Yeager's place in aviation history) but there's another thing when you act like an arrogant @ss and insult people who politely bring up a safety issue (Yeager must of thought he was being second guessed, this Major was even humble and respectful after the insults) and I seen this behavior from him more than once.

Gentlemen, good evening:

8th Air Force veterans who fought in the war, against the same enemy, told me the man is a consuetudinary liar. Age has only come to worsen that particular condition.

Usually I do not bother much in scrutinizing the records of USAAF fighter aces.

If I´m going to analyze the claims/victories/losses of the USAAF I move on the squadron or fighter group level rather than putting my eyes on one specific pilot.

I do not find the individual records of any allied pilot impressive, at all. Impressive...you know what I mean with impressive; you know their names and their scores.

So how was it that I first came across the name of this "pop-star" who has a painting of his "jet kill"? Precisely, because of the words of veterans of the 8th Air Force (and of an interview they showed me, where he ridicules German pilots, their tactics and planes).

It´d not surprise me to hear that lunatic sent a request this painting to be included in the galleries of the Louvre in Paris.

Some of his kills -as claimed by him- are not true, and the funniest thing of them all: the man got duly surpassed in combat and went down flying a "superb-perfect-flawless-out of this world" Mustang. :)

Cheers!

P.S. Ah! From the expression on the face of the man during the interview it was easy to detect the man can not deal with the fact he got surpassed in combat and went downwards, and that the fact several dozens of thousands of USSAF pilots and airmen simply took off to never be seen again still haunts him.

Udet said:
Gentlemen, good evening:

8th Air Force veterans who fought in the war, against the same enemy, told me the man is a consuetudinary liar. Age has only come to worsen that particular condition.

Usually I do not bother much in scrutinizing the records of USAAF fighter aces.

If I´m going to analyze the claims/victories/losses of the USAAF I move on the squadron or fighter group level rather than putting my eyes on one specific pilot.

I do not find the individual records of any allied pilot impressive, at all. Impressive...you know what I mean with impressive; you know their names and their scores.

So how was it that I first came across the name of this "pop-star" who has a painting of his "jet kill"? Precisely, because of the words of veterans of the 8th Air Force (and of an interview they showed me, where he ridicules German pilots, their tactics and planes).

It´d not surprise me to hear that lunatic sent a request this painting to be included in the galleries of the Louvre in Paris.

Some of his kills -as claimed by him- are not true, and the funniest thing of them all: the man got duly surpassed in combat and went down flying a "superb-perfect-flawless-out of this world" Mustang. :)

Cheers!

P.S. Ah! From the expression on the face of the man during the interview it was easy to detect the man can not deal with the fact he got surpassed in combat and went downwards, and that the fact several dozens of thousands of USSAF pilots and airmen simply took off to never be seen again still haunts him.
While it could be said that Yeager is a bit of a major @ss there is no reason to undermine or deny his actual combat record, that's been confirmed and verified by many (on both sides) who didn't even like the man for the same reasons I've given. At the same time I know your feelings about allied pilots and your points about the actual effectiveness of the Luftwaffe when dealing with the RAF and the USAAF, but remember this; many a Luftwaffe experten themselves became experten with regards to the functional requirements of parachutes and egress systems, and those who had the luck or skill to survive the war are still very brave men in my book and it doesn't undermine their skill or courage no matter how many times they found themselves floating helplessly while a sky full of P-51s zoomed past them. Scrutinize the allied airforces of WW2, their over-exaggeration of their victories and those who might blindly glorify them 60 years later but remember the last words spoken by Field Marshal Griem on May 24, 1945 - "but I have no Luftwaffe." And there will never be a denail, debut or doubt of that fact..

well i disagree with flyboy (and with mr. wmaxt); cant type much now, but will get back to you later.

Udet said:
well i disagree with flyboy (and with mr. wmaxt); cant type much now, but will get back to you later.

Udet, was there even 1 German ace that never had to jump out of his aircraft? If so, who is it?

wmaxt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back