PISTON ENGINE AIRCRAFT JET KILLS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i think that it must be remembered that the air war, because it was often 1 on 1, did allow personal decisions on a greater scale-the last of an age of chivalry, that rarely existed on the ground-and due to information technology is even rarer now

and i have to say my father (with 23 squadron and the RAF since 1940)thought galland was a 'good egg'-and thought he had been given a bum deal at the end of the war

Galland was a very good pilot and very good man. I actually find that some of the most couragous and kind acts of the war were done by men of all sides who flew in the war.

hooter said:
I watched a discovery programme on the mustang p-51 battles over germany-one of the americans said he had just shot down his opponent-and after he had bailed out, before he pulled his ripcord,as the american flew past, there was the german pilot saluting him at terminal velocity-I think the american pilots remark was something like 'here was a real professional'
That sounds like Maj. Richard "Bud" Peterson of the 357th. I saw an old interview with him where he said basically that.

Galland was not the type of guy who liked to sit behind a desk and flew his own aircraft on his own missions sometimes and he enjoyed it very much. He was a great person.

Whilst there cirtainly were some very Gentlemanly acts during the war WWII can really be seen to be the death of that kind of thinking, from then on due to the changing nature of warfare the kill was more important than the guy behind the yoke..........

My grandads Aircraft Carrier (it wasn't exactly 'his') at the end of WW2, HMS Ocean, apparently had a Hawker Sea Fury that destroyed at least 1 MiG 15 Faggot. I think he left before that happened, but it's something I've been meaning to ask him.

should have 354th fg Stang pilot, R. Delgado's Me 262 shootdown in my hands in about two weeks, just wrote him tonight and he is making copies for me

E

you will ! most of my first person Stang accts come from March to April 45 era.

got to get back to posting on Janauary 3rd 45 I believe ....

actually got a very special mail from him last night, everything is all sent as of yesterday, so hopeful I can get a bud to do a digi of the materials/scan it and will put forth

neat stuff from Delg. nice personalized pic of him in front of his Stang with the name of the craft and his Me 262 kill on the canopy frame, besides a nice long acct. of his KG 51 jet kill in 45. Will post later, got to get on with the month of Janauary of 45 .. ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back