PISTON ENGINE AIRCRAFT JET KILLS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

schwarzpanzer said:
My grandads Aircraft Carrier (it wasn't exactly 'his') at the end of WW2, HMS Ocean, apparently had a Hawker Sea Fury that destroyed at least 1 MiG 15 Faggot. I think he left before that happened, but it's something I've been meaning to ask him.

Obviously the Mig-15 was not shot down during WWII. However, in Korea,

"The Sea Fury performed air strikes with any ordnance it could carry, including sea mines. It operated from the Weapons delivery was extremely accurate for the days of unguided weapons, and one Sea Fury even shot down a MiG-15. On 9 August 1952, a flight of four FB.11s from the HMS OCEAN was on a "train busting" mission when they were jumped by eight MiG-15s. The MiG pilots foolishly decided to get into a "turning contest" with the agile Sea Furies, and a Sea Fury piloted by Lieutenant Peter "Hoagy" Carmichael managed to get on the tail of a MiG and smash it up with his four 20 millimeter cannon. Two other MiGs were damaged while the Sea Furies returned safely."

Hope this helps.

davparlr said:
Obviously the Mig-15 was not shot down during WWII. However, in Korea,

"The Sea Fury performed air strikes with any ordnance it could carry, including sea mines. It operated from the Weapons delivery was extremely accurate for the days of unguided weapons, and one Sea Fury even shot down a MiG-15. On 9 August 1952, a flight of four FB.11s from the HMS OCEAN was on a "train busting" mission when they were jumped by eight MiG-15s. The MiG pilots foolishly decided to get into a "turning contest" with the agile Sea Furies, and a Sea Fury piloted by Lieutenant Peter "Hoagy" Carmichael managed to get on the tail of a MiG and smash it up with his four 20 millimeter cannon. Two other MiGs were damaged while the Sea Furies returned safely."

Hope this helps.

That I now of and was sure that is what he was talking about. I was just hoping to hear what he was going to say before I posted info on the same incident.

:lol:

I guess I figures we might get into a long discussion on how the Mig-15 was operational in WW2. :lol:

And everyone would tell him: NO! :lol:

HEY YOU GUYS ! are you all polluting this thread with the goofy Mig stuff ?? :D

let's get back to the real topic shall we

3 januaary 45 coming up maybe tonight .......

go back Hendrik and read earlier postings we are on 3 Janaury 1945 even with several pages of nonsense that followed. It was asked if we can retrace historical footsteps and I for one am trying to do that .........

Tschüß

Looking foward to it as allways Erich. Thats the good thing about Erich, he has so many dates and events to go with those dates buried in his brain and archives somewhere.

Erich are you talking about the incident on 03 January 1945 (I think it was 03 January atleast) when 18 Ar-234s were jumped by Spitfires while trying to land at there base after relocating from another? 3 ended up getting shot down, 2 damaged and 2 pilots killed.

actually I am gong to cover the Me 262's only, the Arado 234 is another story in itself and sadly not much on the day to day operations has ever been covered at length, it is all so brief

January 14, 1945

US 357th fg pounced on a number of Fw 190's attacking US heavy bombers and the 357th fg came out on top claiming some 56 German fighters this date. JG 7 sent their Me 262's to attack the Stangs instead of the bombers which in itself was fool-hardy.....first hand info states 1 Me 262 slid in behind several STangs of the 357th fg and sat there with the flight and then took off ahead. pretty weird as one pilot Dale Karger had him in his sights when he got behind but had his gun switch turned off and the Me 262 sped off.
Stangs of the 353rd caught a couple of jets at 10,000 feet heading in a northerly fashion, the Stang pilot Lt. B.J. Murray shot down Unteroffizier Detjens who bailed out, Detjens by the way is still alive....anaother 9./JG 7 pilot was shot down and killed as two-three Stangs ganged up from behind and drilled the jet. Feldwebel Heinrich Wurm fell to his death. Two othere jets damaged by the group and a Jug from the 56th fg also damaged anoather jet of JG 7. One jet of III./JG 7 was lost in a crash with the pilot killed and other in red 14 was lost to US action the pilot suriving the incident near Neuruppin.
RAF Spits encountered jets as well and Capt. Bolsted of the 332nd caught a II./KG 51 jet landing at Rheine and shot it down, the pilot not surviving. Another I. gruppe jet of KG 51 lost it's pilot due to Allied AA guns near Detweiler.

Erich great info mate, but could you also tell us something about Arado 234's being shot down in great numbers or were they not shot down in large numbers?

they were not shot down in any large numbers as there just were not that many in useage. I have to get back on that from the info that Adler gave.......

Of how much interest it would be to you I don't know Erich but August's Flypast has an interview with Willi Kriessman, it focuses mainly on his exploits over Russia with his He-111 leading KG53, however it does make mention of his flying the Blitz towards the end of the war, however it was just ferry flights through what he describes as "German airspace that was controlled by P-51 Mustangs and P-38 Lightening" he is however very complimentary as to the Blitz's abilities........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back