PISTON ENGINE AIRCRAFT JET KILLS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

it will surprise you Les, good deal for the monies and I am NO proponent for Osprey in the slightest regard, in fact most of their WW 2 aviation titles I would pass on.

E `

it is rather obvious by my postings the Stangs and Jugs shot down 262's ...... suggest you go through the other 34 pages

Thanks for the info on that book, Erich. Since joining here I've stayed away from Osprey but if this book is as you say, I know what to do with my Xmas money! Some of those other books are alittle hefty $$$ - need something to whet my appettite while I save the ducats for those books.

Njaco why did you pick up the last title ? It is a compilation of several titles including W. Girbigs 6 mnths to Oblivion which is full of errors

well to be truthful it is the only book out there so you will get a good read

Ive yet to really pic up a good book covering equally both sides in the winter 44-45 air war in any depth.

Amazon.com is amazing! I only ordered these on Sun and bright this morning they were on my step. Erich thanks for the heads up on Forsyth's books. Just completed reading the JG 7 and now devouring the others. The Parker book was interesting what I read online and didn't appear to be filled with alot of junk. I quickly read the intro, Prologue and first chapter and it doesn't seem bad. But it will be with a jaundiced eye as I go through it.

The other two are great especially the pics!

my father's 5th victory was a 262 over Munich. he was witht he 357th FG 364th SQ. it was a combination of the german pilot thinking he was in the clear and my dad making a great/lucky shot. here's info on the 357th and jets.
theyoxfordboysandtheme262

my apologies if this is redunant...i have tried to read through the thread but it keeps giving me a server busy message.

this is a picture my sister painted of the kill.

Attachments

• _5_the_262.jpg
    _5_the_262.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 243
very sad your Father is no longer with us, he is one I wanted to specifically interview about this very mission Bobby.

thanks for the brief sharing, hopeful you will be able to read more of the many postings on this thread there is much here from a personal note from several I have had fortune to interview.

of special note the 357th fg of the 8th AF was the most noted Me 262 killer group in the US fighter arsenal.

dang wish time would permit I need to update and get busy again with where I left off........... apoligies all, in good time

January 14, 1945

US 357th fg pounced on a number of Fw 190's attacking US heavy bombers and the 357th fg came out on top claiming some 56 German fighters this date. JG 7 sent their Me 262's to attack the Stangs instead of the bombers which in itself was fool-hardy.....first hand info states 1 Me 262 slid in behind several STangs of the 357th fg and sat there with the flight and then took off ahead. pretty weird as one pilot Dale Karger had him in his sights when he got behind but had his gun switch turned off and the Me 262 sped off.
Stangs of the 353rd caught a couple of jets at 10,000 feet heading in a northerly fashion, the Stang pilot Lt. B.J. Murray shot down Unteroffizier Detjens who bailed out, Detjens by the way is still alive....anaother 9./JG 7 pilot was shot down and killed as two-three Stangs ganged up from behind and drilled the jet. Feldwebel Heinrich Wurm fell to his death. Two othere jets damaged by the group and a Jug from the 56th fg also damaged anoather jet of JG 7. One jet of III./JG 7 was lost in a crash with the pilot killed and other in red 14 was lost to US action the pilot suriving the incident near Neuruppin.
RAF Spits encountered jets as well and Capt. Bolsted of the 332nd caught a II./KG 51 jet landing at Rheine and shot it down, the pilot not surviving. Another I. gruppe jet of KG 51 lost it's pilot due to Allied AA guns near Detweiler.

Erich...thats my dad, Dale E karger! and that is funny cos i remember him telling this story as well. when flying in formation you mainly watch the plane you are taking your queue from . my dad was flying someone's wing that day and just happened to glance to his right...saw a plane and looked back. then it hit him...this 262 is flying formation WITH them! he was so befuddled all he could do was yell, "you have a jet job on your ass!! ..haha he didnt say who so i am sure everyone practacally broke their necks looking back. when the 262 pilot saw my dad look at him he pulled up and kicked it in the ass. my dad broke off after him and hit the trigger....NOTHING.he hit it again...nothing. he finally remembered he did not turn on his gun heaters ( which was normal practice in formation as to not accidently shoot one of your own by accicent). by that time the 262 was out of range. my dad tried to get back with the group but ended up hedge hopping it back home. i did not know there was an actual record of this incident...i would love to know your source as i am compiling info and stories of my father.

thanks, leonard, i tried to read all of the posts but missed that one. i absolutely loved those skyraiders along with the hueys and once or twice good old spookey. saved our collective butts more than once. of course f-4s coming in about 20ft off the deck were beyond impressive.

I spy a mig silhouette on a skyraider.

va25ne577-001b.jpg

The long loiter time of the skyraider explained.

va25specbomb-001b.jpg

577 was also on the toilet mission and took gun camera film of the drop which consisted of a dot leaving 572 which quickly grew in size on a collision course with 577 and then sky.

Someone still has that film but not sure if it is viewable or restorable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back