Plight of the USS Olympia (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

diddyriddick

Staff Sergeant
May 29, 2009
Hamlet, NC, US
In February 2010, the Independence Seaport Museum (ISM) announced that the aging Spanish-American War Cruiser Olympia, a National Historic Landmark and one-of-a-kind former U.S. Navy vessel was in need of substantial and costly hull repairs to prevent her from sinking.

Historic Ships - USS Olympia

Its a shame to see this happen, and while a part of me wants to hold on to every artifact of even minor historical significance, another part of me knows that's not possible. If nobody steps up to take over the repairs/maintenance, they should tow her out and sink her to become an artificial reef/recreational dive site. Don't cut her up to make skillets and razor blades. That's just wrong no matter how you look at it.

Its a shame to see this happen, and while a part of me wants to hold on to every artifact of even minor historical significance, another part of me knows that's not possible. If nobody steps up to take over the repairs/maintenance, they should tow her out and sink her to become an artificial reef/recreational dive site. Don't cut her up to make skillets and razor blades. That's just wrong no matter how you look at it.

Agreed. And the cost to fix her is unbelievable! 22.5 million?

Gulp!

That is a lot of money. At some point you have to consider how much longer a project like this can go on if it is not bringing enough money itself to cover expenses. I agree it would be nice if every piece of history like this could be saved.

I personally think that the govt should step in and preserve the ship, if she is such an integral part of US history. 22.5 million is peanuts in the 'bigger picture', and the ongoing costs after restoration will probably be quite small. HMS Victory has been preserved and maintained at public expense, and offers great value for money...

I personally think that the govt should step in and preserve the ship, if she is such an integral part of US history. 22.5 million is peanuts in the 'bigger picture', and the ongoing costs after restoration will probably be quite small. HMS Victory has been preserved and maintained at public expense, and offers great value for money...

Normally speaking it doesn't work that way in the States. We have a few museum ships that are maintained by the National Park Service, but most are administered by the states and private groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back