Post hard pastel Clear coating with a wash?

Discussion in 'Weathering Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks' started by Vengeance, May 11, 2015.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Musician/Student
    Hi guys,
    I'm back, so it must be winter.
    I've just finished hard pasteling the panel lines and applied smoke marks and gun residue to my 1:48 Tamiya Corsair (the one that has taken 2 years thus far) and now I'm about to apply a semi-gloss clear coat to lock it in.
    However I also want to apply a bit of a dirt wash to my wheel wells to give a sense of weathering and wear. Being a water based wash, I'm thinking if I apply the wash before the clear coat it may react with the pastel and end up a terrible mess. Should I apply the clear coat first and then go in with the wash once the clear coat has dried?

Any thoughts??
    Cheers

2. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Depends on what you clear coat is. Might be OK if it's an enamel acrylic could wash out with an acrylic. Suggest you experiment on some scrap.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Musician/Student
    Sorry, the semi gloss spray I intend on using is Mr Hobby semi-gloss in a can. The wash is Vallejo dirt wash and the pastels were cheap, chalky, pastels I got from a $2 art shop. I followed Mr Littles excellent pdfs regarding pastel and pencil weathering!