Post models that aren't yours !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

when I do mine, I'd like to see if I can weather it. oil spots, grass growing between the cracks, and maybe some cracks in the concrete, itself. I'd need some reference photos

It's quite easy to do Rob, but forget the grass growing in the joints. That only happens on disused airfields, or areas which don't get much attention. On a passenger apron at a civil airport, the concrete would be as clean and tidy as possible. Things haven't changed much, so just have a look at a parking lot (for tarmac) or any concrete-paved area, airport if possible, and you'll see what it looks like. The main differences would be the sand and spar mix used, which would affect the colour.
But don't just draw or paint the joints onto the base - it'll look just like what it is - either cut individual 'slabs' from card, or use a single piece of card, glued onto the base board, and score it to represent the joints, then paint and add various tones. It should look something like this, on the 1/72nd scale 'Dak' I did for a friend's father. In this instance, the colour of the rather clean concrete was based on the actual airport as it was in the 1960s - other places may have more of a sand or brown-coloured apron.

Attachments

• Dak build 064.jpg
    Dak build 064.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 77
I say chaps, thanks awfully! And Matt, I have another 1/72nd scale build coming soon, this time a Halifax MkIII diorama as a commission.

wow! I never thought of using cards! can I get some closeup shots of that without the gooney, Terry? you can send them in a PM if you don't wanna put it here :)

Thanks Hugh.
I no longer have the model Rob, as it was a commission and is now with the client. However, here are a couple done for 1/48th scale models, the first being a WW2 dispersal point for a Boston, and the second for a MiG 21. These show the different effects of using different colours, dirt, tyre marks and oil stains etc. Hope these help.

Attachments

• Bombers Build 201.jpg
    Bombers Build 201.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 87
  • MiG 21 275.jpg
    MiG 21 275.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 90
thanks, terry. these do help quite a bit. the main trouble I'm gonna have is getting the scaling right. cos this is close to 1/144 scale. which means I'd have to buy a couple stacks of blank cards or card stock, rather and do my best to cut them to the right size. and another question: what do I use for adhesive to the base?. and I also found this video of this guy doing some concrete weathering. cracks, oil spots, etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmjwlANEn0

Thanks David.
Rob, you don't need to buy card stock - it comes free with each model you buy! Use the box the kit came in, and cut as required. If the available card is too small to cover the required area, then butt-jointed pieces can be used, and add to the realism.
Average sizes for concrete slabs vary, but are normally somewhere between 8 to 10 feet wide, and either the same in length (if square), or around 10 to 12 feet. (ie 8 x 10 or 10 x 12) as an example. So a quick bit of arithmetic for 1/144th scale would mean that a 12 x12 feet slab would be 1 x 1 inch in this scale - simple!
Of course, some aprons might use larger poured slabs, depending on the contractor's equipment when the apron was made, but the calculations ar of course the same.
Glue the card to the base using PVA (white glue - 'Elmer's' I think it's called in the 'States). Spread the glue evenly across the base board, place the card on top and press down, and wipe away any excess glue with a damp cloth. It helps to leave a weight on top ( a large, heavy book for example) to keep the card flat until the glue sets - it should be ok to handle after a couple of hours.
Simple stuff - like being back in play school !

1200 to 1500 grit sand paper works great too for a realistic asphalt effect for the larger scales (1/72nd and below).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back