Post models that aren't yours !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a selection of photos taken at the Midland Air Museum, which I'll post in two parts. The first two here are of a Bolivian airfield 'graveyard', where poor peasants live in the hulks of Dakotas. The display included printed details of the actual site, and explained that one hulk was burnt out when the 'occupants' lit a fire to keep warm during the cold nights! (These are for inspiration for Evan, and his planned scrap yard diorama.)
The remainder show the display by the Coventry branch of IPMS - various scales up to 1/16th scale. (the sub is 1/72nd scale, and over 3 feet long!).

Attachments

• Midland Air Museum 151.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 151.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Midland Air Museum 150.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 150.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Midland Air Museum 153.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 153.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Midland Air Museum 096.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 096.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 103
  • Midland Air Museum 099.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 099.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 87
  • Midland Air Museum 100.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 100.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Midland Air Museum 107.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 107.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 86
  • Midland Air Museum 102.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 102.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Midland Air Museum 104.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 104.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Midland Air Museum 105.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 105.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 96
  • Midland Air Museum 106.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 106.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 86
Andy, love that FE 2B!

Terry, that is a lovely diorama - hope mine turns out as well!

Thanks for posting guys.

:cool: I like the diorama of the DC-3s, but 1/72nd is a tough scale to pull off that depiction. You gotta know that the wing panels would be canabalized for their aluminum sheeting given the living conditions, the ribbing on the burnt out bird looks out of scale and the upside down wingbox with gear extended just doesnt look right. Way beyond my skill level however!!! Very nice!

I agree about some of your points Matt. There were a few little things which were slightly 'out', however, the description, shown on the card in the bottom right corner, explains that this was built following a second visit to the site, after a break of a number of years, and shows the changes to the 'graveyard'. Apparently, this is an area at the edge of the airfield where the aircraft were towed to when they were finished with, the companies concerned replacing them with DC4s I think. The 'locals' moved in there as 'squatters', so either didn't have the idea of stealing materials, or didn't have the opportunity perhaps due to airport security, for what it was worth.(Bear in mind this is Bolivia.)
According to the info provided, the diorama is a more or less accurate depiction, although I agree a couple of elements could possibly have been integrated in a more convincing way.
As is usual, it looks a lot better to the naked eye though!

I agree about some of your points Matt. There were a few little things which were slightly 'out', however, the description, shown on the card in the bottom right corner, explains that this was built following a second visit to the site, after a break of a number of years, and shows the changes to the 'graveyard'. Apparently, this is an area at the edge of the airfield where the aircraft were towed to when they were finished with, the companies concerned replacing them with DC4s I think. The 'locals' moved in there as 'squatters', so either didn't have the idea of stealing materials, or didn't have the opportunity perhaps due to airport security, for what it was worth.(Bear in mind this is Bolivia.)
According to the info provided, the diorama is a more or less accurate depiction, although I agree a couple of elements could possibly have been integrated in a more convincing way.
As is usual, it looks a lot better to the naked eye though!

Yeah my comment did not mean to be so harsh, but rather a not on how ambitious the very skilled modeller apparently is taking on such a difficult subject in such a small scale. As I noted before. Way beyond my novice abilities.

No problem Matt.
A few more from the Museum.
PICS 1 to 3 show part of the collection depicting the Suez crisis, although looking at one of the title cards, I thought they might belong to some girl called Sue ......
PICS 4 and 5. A couple from the Cold War display, in 1/48th scale.
PICS 6 to 8. Hunters, mainly in 1/48th and 1/32nd scale.
PIC 9. And some 'people carriers' for Rob, in large scales - the cabinet was around six feet wide.

Attachments

• Midland Air Museum 108.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 108.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Midland Air Museum 109.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 109.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Midland Air Museum 110.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 110.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Midland Air Museum 145.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 145.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Midland Air Museum 147.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 147.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Midland Air Museum 155.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 155.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Midland Air Museum 156.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 156.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Midland Air Museum 157.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 157.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Midland Air Museum 124.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 124.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 100
Nice ones. I have such newfound respect for the Hunter over that last 15yrs. And I liked the civil liners display. However, somebody needs to tell the museum docents to dust those cabinets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back