Post Your Models! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1/48th Vulcan! Blimey that will be a beast if/when it appears.

I picked up an Airfix Stirling recently and thats big enough for me :)

It is strange Evan. In the colours shown, the Sea Harrier should have blue/white/red roundels; the white was overpainted with blue at the time of the Falklands conflict, which brought them into line with the RAF 'B' type roundels already in use.
I beleive there were some units of the RFC/RAF using SE5A's for night patrols, where the white of the roundels on the top wings were painted over in black, but I suspect that in this case, both kits' decal sheets would have had separte white decals, which should be applied first, then the blue/red applied over the top. It's an odd and slightly awkward way to get around registration problems when printing. Unless, of course, the printers used clear instead of white decal sheet!!

Here's my newest,1/72 Do-17Z-2.
Ed

Attachments

• 07 07 09 001.jpg
    07 07 09 001.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 07 07 09 002.jpg
    07 07 09 002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 07 07 09 003.jpg
    07 07 09 003.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 07 07 09 004.jpg
    07 07 09 004.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 101
It is strange Evan. In the colours shown, the Sea Harrier should have blue/white/red roundels; the white was overpainted with blue at the time of the Falklands conflict, which brought them into line with the RAF 'B' type roundels already in use.
I beleive there were some units of the RFC/RAF using SE5A's for night patrols, where the white of the roundels on the top wings were painted over in black, but I suspect that in this case, both kits' decal sheets would have had separte white decals, which should be applied first, then the blue/red applied over the top. It's an odd and slightly awkward way to get around registration problems when printing. Unless, of course, the printers used clear instead of white decal sheet!!

Thanks Terry! I tend to agree that the roundels in both cases should have the white rings.
With the Falklands Sea Harriers, if the white was painted out in the A roundels to match B's, was the red centre enlarged to the correct proportion too?

Interesting too about the SE5A night patrols! Considering the aeroplane was still a fairly young invention at the time, the attention to camouflage is astounding...

Ed -Lovely Do 17Z! Who makes that kit?

Evan, no, they just hastily brush-painted the blue down to the red, creating a 'B1' roundel! This was done on-board, on the way there. The grey was also extended to cover the white. Soon after the conflict, the 'proper', new scheme was adopted, a lighter shade of grey overall, with smaller roundels. This was around the same time that the R.A.F. adopted the 'Air Defence Grey' scheme as the official finish for fighters (Phantoms and Lightnings), along with the 'Low Vis' pale blue/pink roundels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back