Post Your Models! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good Rob, and coincidentally, I have a 1/32nd scale kit I'll be building in 601 Sqn markings. Hope the info in answer to your question was useful.

Looks good Rob, and coincidentally, I have a 1/32nd scale kit I'll be building in 601 Sqn markings. Hope the info in answer to your question was useful.
It wasTerry, thank you very much. It's amazing how 'Personalities' in charge at a certain time can influence these things. Makes it fun for those of us trying to do scale detailing on models when, often, information and imagery on a certain aircraft are not available. So, due to the lack of images / info on the right hand side of this particular Hurri, I've completed the right hand side according to that convention. I appreciate your knowledge and direction and will more than likely be seeking your counsel on these matters again in the future.
I hope to finish off the detailing of the Left hand side soon, and will get some pics of R 4218 in the air soon.
I'd like to leave this post with an explanation I offered my Dad as to why I spend so much time on my models.

" Dad,
I get a real kick out of bringing the memory of these guys, particularly Aussies, back into peoples minds.
I really do believe that they WERE our Greatest Generation. The sacrifice made by that generation, your Father's generation,
was inconceivable by today's standards.

When I work on these models, I become fixated on the work so that we can see what their ACFT looked like, and gain at least a bit of
an understanding of who they were and what they did.
They were all heroes, mostly humble heroes, but heroes none the less; and by what I do, this is my own personal tribute to them.
My desire is not to high lite my efforts, but to bring their memory back. My efforts are about them.

Geoff Atherton, Gordon White, Clive Mayers, and the squadrons in which they flew.
RAAF 80 SQN, 78 SQN, RAF 601 SQN.

I even Call the models by the Pilot's names."

Thanks again Terry
Rob

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. As soon as I can (when wife is available to video), I'll get some still shots of this model in the air, as well as some video.

WRT the A6M2-K, you may remember that I was waiting on the second pilot to place into the rear cockpit. Well, here he is. Also, if you go back to the original pics I posted of this model, you will notice that the cockpit is smeared with some glue. When I removed it to put the new pilot in, I used an aviation plastic cleaner and polish to remove it. It worked well.
2 pilots and clean canopy.JPG

That's great news A4K, I'm looking forward to seeing your work. I expect to be somewhat humbled, but I am here to learn.
one thing I found interesting from the main image I used as the reference for my M2-K was that under the Left wing are the numbers '08'
whereas the tail number is 407.
Has you research fielded an answer or could this be an error on the part of the artist of that illustration?
Kind regards
Rob

OH...as an aside, I get all of my decals from Custom Vinyl Ggraphics, Stickers, Labels for your R/C Models - Callie Graphics Very swift service, and very reasonably priced.

Hadn't seen that site Rob, some nice profiles in there (thanks!), likewise some nice markings there...

The CMK markings for '407 come with 2 large '07's for the lower wings. In the one photo I have of her, she is very distant and side on (in formation flight), no underside numbers visible. Need to look into this.
If your version is correct, it may be a similar situation to WWII RNZAF and Luftwaffe trainers - the aircraft has it's individual serial number or Werk nummer, but a Training squadron just gets a handful of mixed aircraft which they number from 1 to however many are on the squadron...

Don't put your work down either, you've done a fantastic job! (and I'm always learning myself!)

Evan

Thanks very much Evan.
Intersting that your model came with 'two' large '07's for the underside of the wings.
The Only reference I had for 407 was this one
Training Zero.jpg
See the '08'
or '80' under the wing.

Weeeeeeeell!! That's the big question isn't it.

Oh well, in the mean time I am correct according to that source.
I'm not overly concerned, it would just be nice to have the confidence that what I have produced is totally historically correct.
Still it's a dilemma.....should I go with the '07' or the '08' ????
I actually ordered a '07' from Callie when I got her to do the rest of the decals, so if it's ever proven the other way I can just replace it. :)
Rob

In my current situation as a property manager, I haven't had the time to unpack all my models. There are about 150 (Down from over 300!) 1/48 aircraft, 10 or 12 1/35 armor, several ships, and some other odds 'n sods...
The big white ship is the U.S.S. Oregon, a Glencoe kit that originally bore only a passing resemblence to a ship. This has been a project going on it's 3rd year, I have fixed many structure issues, put in wood decks, got a photo etched set for it,...
The cage masted one is the venerable Revell 1/426(?) U.S.S. Arizona modified to an "as launched" Nevada.
The La.-7 is Eduard, the F-94B is an old Hobbycraft, the Corsair is AMT, the P-40 is Otaki, and the P-51A is Accurate Miniatures.
More as I unpack.

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

This is the venerable Monogram 1/48 P-40B finished in the Flying Tiger version. Close to 30 years ago, I guess,... At some time I replaced the canopy with one from the MANY Monogram 1/48 P-40B's that I had.

012postyermodel.jpg

1/48 Glencoe U.F.O. Originally from the late 50's, I got mine sometime in the early 90's, it's missing the engine pods, but everyone who sees it wants it anyways!
Pilot is glow in the dark which makes it extra cool!

014postyermodel.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back