Practising Paintshop/GIMP...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, it does have layer and masking. I thought they were talking about Halloween but I guess I'm wrong. :) I've only been able to transparent the whole pic, not really individual areas but of course, I don't know what I'm doing.

Okay, see here a blend between Lucky's and your siggy. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's just for the demonstration. This is just one way to do it, but I'm sure you'll think of others.
1. I first resized Lucky's siggy to the same hight as yours.
2. created a new layer in your siggy
3. Pasted Lucky's siggy in the new layer to combine the two (first pic)
4. While Lucky's layer selected, created a Mask-layer (visible all). This makes a group with Lucky's layer and it's mask layer. You don't see anything on the picture itself. (picture 2)

note: Every area painted black on the mask layer will be transparent on the Lucky-layer. Gray will make it less transparent. Thus with a gradient from black to white on the mask-layer you'll be able to blend the pictures:

5. Select the pen tool, make it square, color black and hardness to your liking. (the less hard, the more overlap between the pictures, I used 50% as you can see in picture 3)
6. slowly paint from right to left until satisfied (pic 3)

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 128
  • njacoxmas2.jpg
    njacoxmas2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 110
I use Paintshop pro. Nowadays it's made by Correl (from Word Perfect etc). You cannot download it legally, but compared to Adobe Photoshop it's rather cheap. 50 euro's, while adobe is about 900 euro's. And as you can see in the thread, it can do really nice things, I think about 90% of what Adobe can.

Current sig without transparence, but with Forum background. Lets see if it works. If it does, I can use Jpegs, which makes the picture smaller (40 kb vs 145 kb). It'll also help Wurger , as his browser doesn't support the transparence of the png format ;)

Anyone notice any difference with my sig?

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 608
  • G.I.jpg
    G.I.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 388
Yep Marcel, I noticed right away that you had either converted it to a transparent .gif or a .jpg with a background.

Now that I read your post, I see you used the forum's BG...neat trick, huh?

I think it's looking better than ever! :thumbright:

Yep, it works surprisingly well. Let's hope they don't change the color soon ;)

What I do is make the siggy and leave the background layer blank. Then resize it and before saving applying the Forum texture to the background. You'll have to do this again when resizing the pic.

I take an actual copy of the background and slip it into my image's file as a layer. This current sig actually has two of the forum's backgrounds in it.

If I have to resize the sig's image, I resize that layer or related layers, leaving the background layers in thier original dimensions :)

Thanks Wojtek. I do like the D.XXI as well, as it is a great painting and it was in my first real siggy here. I do like the T.V best, still. Should I ask Njaco to make me a rotating Gif like Lucky's? I could rotate the a/c while the background stays the same.

Users who are viewing this thread