Primer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guys

Quick Question :?:

What can you use as a primer IF you have no primer :?: :!:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never use 'real' primer when I need to prime a model Keith. Normally, I just use a thin coat of a light grey, either mixed, or Medium Sea Grey, both normally Humbrol enamels. Something around the shade of the background to the forum pages is a good starting point.

I DO use primer when I have an old plane that has panel lines that need to be removed such as the C-75 I'm working on right now. I use Krylon grey at less that $3 a spray can. It helps seal up minor scratches.

A lot of UK modellers use Halford's grey primer, a similar thing to the Krylon.(Halford's is a UK-wide automotive accessory and bike store).
I've never tried it, as I don't like the idea of spraying a model with a can - (not enough control, especially with my knackered hands !) although it might be OK on large-scale models.

Halfords Plastic Primer, for use on the plastic parts of modern cars such as wing mirrors, bumpers etc, and not the same as the primer for bodywork. Basically it sticks better to plastic, especially the hard types that paint easily flakes off. Both are available in grey, white and red. There is also a filler prime, which is yellow, that fills in small scratches and is meant to be sanded down.

Thanks Antoni - I forgot to say plastic primer, which is the same, or very similar to, the Krylon primer Kevin mentioned.
It's designed for use on the 'plastic' / ABS parts on cars, such as bumper trim caps, mirror housing etc etc.

What ever you use remember: Thin, Even Coat. I found that spray paints work, but to thick and you lose details, too thin and it wont cover well. Paint Brush, gotta be even more careful with getting it too thick I'm getting ready to try my hand with an inexpensive airbrush, so I'll be learning how to do that one also..

But Thin, Even Coat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back