Project Ivory Soap

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last post was to Propeller Daughter (not Propeller Girl), my apologies.

I do hope your father enjoys the photos. I know my father would have loved to see them and hear of a fellow shipmate! (He has been gone for many years now).

To Propeller daughter,
My dad was thrilled to see the photos! He thanks you very much for posting them. They have given him recollections that he thought were beyond his ability to recall. In the photo of the gunners (he is front and center half kneeling), I asked him why he was wearing a Navy uniform, since he was Army Air Force. He told me the guys swaped uniforms for the day for a few laughs. Thanks so much.

Just today I found a picture that I believe to be my Grandfather from Oct. 28th, 1943 at the Great Lakes Navel base. Co. 1396. I have my grandfather's yearbook from the USS Robert Olds. But I am trying to match the 2 together. The picture deffinately looks like him (Oct. 28th, 1943) however, I want hard evidence it is him.

I just learned through HOURS of study today between my wife's laptop and mine about Operation Ivory Soap, and started putting all of the pieces together. I am very proud and excited to learn as much as I can. My grandfather passed away when I was 8 and he willed me his book and all of his patches. I am 34 now and I can't wait to find out more. Any info from members of the Olds or other ships on the mission would be awesome! feel free to email me also. thanks

:( We've lost another of our WWII vets. Last month my dad, Corpl. Joseph C. DeRosa, gunner on the USS Asa N Duncan 4th ARU, passed away. A whole generation of heroes that we now unfortunately take for granted is quickly vanishing.
Fortunately, before he passed, he got to enjoy the the chatter and pictures that came to me via this site. Thanks to all who looked for and posted info on this thread, especially Propeller Daughter.

I am new to the forum and through research about my grandfather from pictures I have viewed, he was a part of the 11th AMU floating. He was aboard the ships FS 218 and 220. If anyone has any other information regarding these ships or the 11th amu I would love to hear. I am currently gathering together army air corp uniforms to display as a remembrance to him. I am not however sure if there were any special unit commendation medals issued to these men. I only have a Philippine liberation medal and Asiatic campaign medal of his to prove he was there. If anyone has any other information please share. Thanks

:( We've lost another of our WWII vets. Last month my dad, Corpl. Joseph C. DeRosa, gunner on the USS Asa N Duncan 4th ARU, passed away. A whole generation of heroes that we now unfortunately take for granted is quickly vanishing.
Fortunately, before he passed, he got to enjoy the the chatter and pictures that came to me via this site. Thanks to all who looked for and posted info on this thread, especially Propeller Daughter.

I am sorry that I just saw this thread now.

I am very sorry for your loss.

:salute: Corp. DeRosa

my dad was on the fs 210, he is 94 and still talks about the ships.View attachment WWII Army Air Forces 7th Maintance Unit.pdf
FS210 ArmyAirCorps ship in West PacificWWII.jpg
Shipmatesimproved.jpg
ONshippersonnel1b.jpg

I am new to the forum and through research about my grandfather from pictures I have viewed, he was a part of the 11th AMU floating. He was aboard the ships FS 218 and 220. If anyone has any other information regarding these ships or the 11th amu I would love to hear. I am currently gathering together army air corp uniforms to display as a remembrance to him. I am not however sure if there were any special unit commendation medals issued to these men. I only have a Philippine liberation medal and Asiatic campaign medal of his to prove he was there. If anyone has any other information please share. Thanks

Jake, that attachment you provided was magnificent!

Thank you so much for shedding some light on these rarely reported on, but still quite valuable small maintenance units!!!!

I can't tell you how excited I am to see this post. My grandpa, John S. Bagdonis, is alive and well at 93 in Marlborough, CT. His house burnt down about a decade ago and he lost all of his photos, records, etc. from the war. I showed him a photo of his ship today and he got so excited. I just saw his name on the roll, so I can't wait to bring it to him. I'm working on getting him his service records and such, but the photos are invaluable. THANK YOU!

Emily

Unfortunately this is an old thread. The last post here was sent three yours ago. I hope the topic sender visits the thread sometimes.

Oh... and welcome to the site.

Thanks all! It's an old thread, but you never know whose listening. If anyone knows of a vet still around that was on the Duncan, please share. I think my grandpa (John S. Bagdonis) would love to know if there's anyone out there.

Emily

My dad, Raymond Mercatante, was a machinist on the Asa N. Duncan. The Naval Archives were a big help with research about his ship and Project Ivory Soap. My dad didn't know about it. I gave him all the info, along with a framed picture of his ship and a ball cap, for his birthday and he loved it. He just passed away June 2015. He had lots of stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back