Proud to be British?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Taken from the British Army Website

To join as a Solider:

"You can join the British Army from the UK or overseas providing you meet the required nationality criteria.

Joining from the UK

You must be a resident of the United Kingdom or the Irish Republic, and preferably have lived there for a minimum of five years immediately prior to making your application to join the Army.

Nationality

You must also be one of the following:

A British citizen
A citizen of the British dependent territories
A British overseas citizen
A British subject under the British Nationality Act 1981
A citizen of an independent Commonwealth country
A British Protected Person
A citizen of the Irish Republic

Joining from overseas

In addition to fulfilling one of the nationality criteria listed above, you must be eligible to hold a full British or Irish passport.

If you are from another country, you must hold a full passport from that country. Your passport must show you have an immigrant status in the UK that is valid for a minimum of four years.

All applicants must have the right of entry into the UK."

As an Officer:

"You will normally be eligible if: you hold UK, Commonwealth or Irish citizenship, and you have a passport permitting you rights of residence within the UK until the start of your Commissioning Course.

You must show that you have assimilated into the UK. This normally includes a requirement to undertake a period of residency. "

For the RAF :-

"For most RAF jobs, you must have been a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland since birth, or have dual British/other nationality.

For security reasons, there are stricter nationality requirements for some jobs. For a few, you must have been a British citizen and UK resident since birth. You should check the specific nationality requirements that are given in each of the job files on this website.

Residency
Wherever you were born, you should normally have lived in the UK for the past five years. If you have never lived in the UK, we may be able to consider your application, so long as satisfactory enquiries can be made where you live. "

Maestro said:
Well, that's what is written on the US Army website... The minimum requirement is the Green Card. But may be the laws changed since your friend joined the army.

No you are correct, you do require a green card. I am sure that my friend when he met all the requirements they pretty much did the paperwork and got him his green card so he could join.

Hi Plan_D
I haven't read through all of the posts hun, I just read through your first post on the thread.
About Britain, I fully understand where you are coming from and agree with much of what you said. But I dont think it reflects alot of the counrty and that's the problem in one way. It does reflect the industrial inner cities, which are areas we both live in.
Unfortunately, many decisions are maor by middle class members of parliment who live in roral parts of the counrty (those that came from working class back grounds often forget what its like once they are alright jack....pull the ladder up).
I agree with you in that inner cities are out of control and that dole-ites (those out of work) are a growing concern and the chav's are also on the increase.
But I have spentquite a bit of time recently staying with friends around the country and I can't believe the difference in where they live, to where I live. It has been an eye opener Plan. on the one hand it's nice to see that quite alot of Britain is not how I perceived it, but on the other hand, whilst those people live in ignorance they will not understand our true plight.

As for the immigration laws, Britain has the space for a more diverse community, what it does not have is the future wealth to support such a diverse community together with a low labour motivated (work shy) work force. Hence, future generations will not be able to retire under the ages of 70 or 80 years of age (work force = pentions contributions).So I see where your frustrations comes from. The sherkers spunge off the workers.

As for America, I do think you have got that wrong hun, as with here, parts of America are affluent and others are in a worse state than here. Having many cousins spread across the states and having been across the pond 9 times my self, trust me they have equally abismal problems.
And though I agree with you whole heartedly on where 'we' live, if you look around the globe, im thankful that I was born here, rather than in many other countries.
Plan I have worked hard to make sure that my son and daughter have the opportunities to get out of the inner city, I hope too that you get the same chance. I love Manchester it is a nice place, but I dont like a growing number of people who live in it, as they are really spoiling the place that I am very fond of. For the first time in my life........ I cant wait to leave it.
Warm hugs to you Plan and well done to you for your freedom of speech out burst (gud on ya lad).

(ps is anyone going to the Leeds festival in August?)

pps I went to Brooklands air and F1 museum a few weeks ago, well worth a visit http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climengs/brooklands/brook_05.htm

also went to look at the Lancs (the plane not 'The' Lancs lol) in London's War Museum, she was beautiful!!!
http://www.tourist-information-uk.com/imperial-war-museum.htm

Travelling through Nurnberg was an embarassment on Britain. the city is twice the size of Doncaster yet the streets were clean and there wasn't one group of chav-like people stood around anywhere.

Why can't Britain be like that?

Mate come and have a look at our city's and you will be shocked. LOL

Botswana has no beggers on their streets and it is super clean. Truly a great country.

plan_D said:
Travelling through Nurnberg was an embarassment on Britain. the city is twice the size of Doncaster yet the streets were clean and there wasn't one group of chav-like people stood around anywhere.

Why can't Britain be like that?

National service I believe. You have the same in Austria and Switzerland, They have some respect drilled into them when they are 18. The younger youths copy the older ones so you end up with good bunch kids. Where as in Britian if you copy the older chav scum you end up sat on a bus stop drinking wife beater and stinking of KFC.

It took me to go to Germany and explain to Chris in person what a Chav is. I'm not going to try again on here. :lol:

It does not mean that you are stupid. I am not stupid and I still did not quite get what he met by Chavs, when he explained it on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back