I would much rather be in an A-10 on a mission over, say Mogadeshu or some two-goat villiage in Afghanistan rather than a PA-48.
My reasoning behind this is that the hostiles on the ground, either well trained or just a bunch of meat-puppets that are following the local mouth-peice, are equipped with nasty things. The majority of them are armed with Warsaw Pact equipment that can, and have, knocked down all but the sturdiest of aircraft.
How well can the PA-48 handle small arms fire? Can it handle heavy impacts from SAM/RPG weapons? Many militias and insurgent forces have AA weapons and this needs to be taken into account.
I know all the above has been taken into consideration, but if it were up to me, I'd stick with the A-10 for it's ruggedness and battlefield proven perfomance.
PA-48
Maximum speed: 405 mph
Service ceiling: 37,600 ft.
Hardpoints: 10 @ capacity unknown
Armament: 6 - .50 cal. M2/M3 MG (optional)
A-10
Maximum speed: 439 mph
Service ceiling: 45,000 ft.
Hardpoints: 11 @ 16,000 lb. capacity
Armament: 1- 30 mm GAU-8/A cannon