Putting the P-47 back into production?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I say bin the Eurofighter! Bring back the Spitfire! Throw away the F22! Bring back the P38!

*Takes valium and sits down*

:D

Spitfire is garbage!! Mustang is junk!!

Bring back the Fokker D.VII because it had pretty colors and it was a real airplane!! It could be made to carry rockets and dive like a Stuka, but faster!!

I studied it for 5 fingers and one thumb many years!

Nah! The Bleriot was a much better aircraft, could do 12 mph at sea level - confused the radar, and could carry at least one crate of oranges too!! Not nice if some one creeps up on you at low level, and bombards you with oranges, very nasty piece of kit!!

Drat! Foiled again! I forgot about that........ah! But wait! How about the Sopwith One and a Half strutter? Surely the name alone must make it superior?!!

This should be put back into production. No doubt.

Attachments

• flying_tank.jpg
    flying_tank.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 122
Sheesh. You guys are so wrong you're not even on the planet earth anymore! What's the biggest weak-point of any airplane? The wings! No wings, no flies. Therefore, I humbly submit (and I've been studying this one for decades...got my Mom to look that word up for me this morning!) for your military consideration:

THE DOGHOUSE!

Attachments

• snoopy_pilot.jpg
    snoopy_pilot.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 126
Maybe RA's got a point...sitting on top of the rig has gotta be safer, since all the bullets are hitting below.

Kind of like in the movie "The Jerk", where he got away from the window, because the sniper was shooting at the oil cans...

The P-51 (In the form of the Piper PA-48 Enforcer) would make a MUCH better anti-terrorist/anti-insurgency weapon for one big reason: Loiter time. The low-drag fuel efficient plane could circle at 30,000 feet all day and come in with instant fire support if any of our boys on the ground was in trouble.

Jeez, what an idiot! Let's think about his plan for a second, and compare the P-47 to the A-10.
1. What packs a bigger punch: eight .50's or a multibarrelled 30mm cannon?
2. Which aircraft can survive the AA defenses of today? I don't believe the P-47 can a hit from a SAM and fly away.
3. Which aircraft can be fitted with countermeasures, ie chaff pods?

Don't get me wrong, the P-47 was an excellent aircraft in it's time, but I can't see it being anywhere effective to the A-10 without serious improvements to it's design.

The P-51 (In the form of the Piper PA-48 Enforcer) would make a MUCH better anti-terrorist/anti-insurgency weapon for one big reason: Loiter time. The low-drag fuel efficient plane could circle at 30,000 feet all day and come in with instant fire support if any of our boys on the ground was in trouble.
Hey good call, I was also thinking of the Enforcer!!

Sure it's nowhere as good as the A-10 but it's also a whole lot cheaper so...

Another what-if from the 80s ... the Boeing Skyfox, rebuilt T-33s.
skyfox-2.jpg

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back