Putty, gaps, yes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That sounds interesting. I've (vaguely) heard of micro-balloons, but didn't know what they were until now. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eyes open for it/them when I'm next in the model shop.

Maglar, I have been work on the same F4U. I noticed after the primer dried that the seems were the wings attached are bad. I am going to try and fill it over the weekend. I am not a fan of the folding wings on this one.

DBII

Me neither, I ditched it! I felt almost model dumb trying to attach these folding wings and make them go well, I used the dang vegtable oil (which went everywhere) and then glued it. The wing was hanging off the hinge and looked like crap. I love Corsairs but im going to buy a kit that doesnt have this "adavanced" ability. I did get to use the parts in some experiments though, but for $10 the kit just wasnt worth the hit. I built testors 1/72 Corsair F4U-1 I believe and it was a nice tight solid build. This is not my tea!

Just wanted to add that I took some baking soda and added the enamel paint to it. It took alittle to get the right consistancy and form but when done I used a brush to apply to the gap I wanted to fill. Went on nice and was able to sand beautifully later. So thanks guys for the suggestion!

I did not even try the hinged wings, I just glues the D***things on. One side was almost perfect, the other did not line up and was a bear to attach. The plane was to file the seams with putty. I do not think I will be able to make it look right. I will right this off as pratice.v

DBII

DB, try that baking soda deal that Terry and the guys were talking about. I tried it the first time - the seam was too small and in too awkward a spot - and it worked great!

Yep, if you run it in carefully, let it harden, then sand back, it will do the job.
BTW, the Corsair was originally one of Monogram's early 1960's kits, which were innovative at the time. I believe the idea was to provide a folded wing option for modellers, and folding wings for children, who could play with the finished model. Hence the not so perfect fit etc, nearly 50 years later.
Some of the other kits of the period from the same company, had retractble undercarriage, working bomb relese etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back