Question about aftermarket set

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
I have an Academy 1/72 F6F Hellcat kit #2121 in my stash that I've been saving for a rainy day. Well while surfing EvilBay I came across a Verlinden 1:72 F6F Hellcat Update Set. Has anyone ever used this or another one of their products? Is it worth picking up?

Verlinden1-72F6FHellcatUpdateSet.jpg

I have only used a set of their tires for my P-51 - not enough to form an overall opinion. However, the wheels were nicely done and many modeling articles I've read reference use and recommendations for this company's parts. I would say they are well known and quite respected, based on what I've heard.

I'm using the Verlinden 1:72 Bf109 set on the new tool Hasegawa E-4/7 trop, the recommended kit for this set.

IMO, very nicely detailed, but there are some fit and scale issues. This is mostly because (as is mentioned in the instructions..) they are scaled down versions of sets originally designed for the Hasegawa 1:48 and 1:32 kits - this is noticable in the instruction drawings and construction format too.
The Hasegawa 1:72 kit parts are alot different to their '48 and '32 counterparts of course, with fueslage halves alot thicker scale-wise aswell, and this is where the fit and construction issues start...

Luckily most are solvable though, and after thinning the cockpit walls right down, and using a little logic and good references photos, the result isn't bad, though in this case they really screwed up the seat assembly. (Academy seat and scratchbuilt frame to the rescue...)

Just my opinion/ experience...hopefully the F-6F parts fit better!

Last edited:
I have seen the model with the Verlinden set used for the kit.I must say that it is really great set taking its scale into consideration.Undoubtedly the additional part set is worthy of buing.

I agree with all of the above. Although I don't normally use aftermarket detailing sets, I have used Verlinden products in the past, in the form of figures and accessories. This company was one of the first to produce detailing sets, in resin and PE, and was formed by Francois Verlinden, in Belgium, in the 1970's, starting virtually as a by-product of his own modelling endeavours. Since then, the company has seen huge expansion, and, now based in the USA, exports millions of products all over the World, and is copied by many.
Verlinden himself is a well-known and very respected modeller, with a number of books and DVD's etc describing 'The Verlinden Way', showing , mainly, some fantastic dioramas, and his company is appreciated by many, many modellers, including professionals, across the World.

I first heard of him through Tamiya catalogues in the mid '80s. While extremely talented, I always thought he over-shaded his kits and figures a bit...

I'd tend to agree with you there Evan, but his work is outstanding overall. A number of injection-moulded diorama accesories available today, mainly for military modelling, such as walls, building ruins etc, originated as resin or plaster cast models from Verlinden, and of course the choice has expanded hugely, with numerous comapnies offering similar products.
Italeri used to use his work for box art for many of their 1/35th military vehicle kits too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back