Question to our English friends

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Is getting honors from the queen or getting knighted still a big deal or is it losing it's flair. I forget what the other honors are, but it's the same thing that was offered to the Beatles, but John Lennon turned it down.

That's it. Geez, I couldn't remember it. And apparently there are several recognitions like that. The one you get depends on what service your providing to England.

There are a number of awards that are available to people in the UK starting with the MBE then the OBE up to some that are totally at the discression of the Queen.
Generally speaking they are recognised as being a good idea as they are a way of giving recognition to people who have served the community in one way or another. The vast majority are not given to well known personalities, they go to ordinary people who have given exceptional service in their area. This can include charity workers, social workers who may have started a local initiative, a teacher who has achieved exceptional results in a run down inner city school. There are numerous examples but I think you get the flavour on the occaision.
For ordinary people like this to be awarded an MBE, go to Buckingham Palace in London and be given the medal by the Queen in person, is a memorable moment to be cherished.

They are sometimes given to military people who step into the gap and carry out a civil task over and above what they normally would be expected. I have a friend who is a Major in the Army based in Wales. His senior officers and most of his men are assigned to Iraq and he had to organise the responce to a number of unexpected demands to help farmers deal with foot and mouth infections, TB outbreaks as well as co-ordinate the opening of the Welsh Parmilment. His MBE was awarded for service to the community.

Personally what I don't agree with are people who get it for doing their normal job. For instance a political person who does their job without achieving anything out of the ordinary.

That said, most do go to ordinary people.

Why do you want posts from only English 'friends', why not Scotts and Welsh?

'Fraid it's that way Merlin, most people don't know the difference between English British. The Welsh have been downtrodden ever since the death of Llewellen and then Longshanks trying to convince the Cymru that his queer baby was the new "Prince of Wales". :rolleyes:

It's the same way sometimes for Canadians travelling in parts of Europe, when they ask where I am from, I say Vancouver, Canada, the reply will then often be "Oh, you are American!"

personaly i couldn't care less about worthless gongs from the royal family.
most of them are awarded on the suggestion of the prime minister who seemed to use them to be seen with whoever was in the news at the time and bathe in the reflected glory.
why do we cling to these old fashioned and out of date traditions when the rest of this once great nation is slowly turning to s**t !

'Fraid it's that way Merlin, most people don't know the difference between English British. The Welsh have been downtrodden ever since the death of Llewellen and then Longshanks trying to convince the Cymru that his queer baby was the new "Prince of Wales". :rolleyes:

It's the same way sometimes for Canadians travelling in parts of Europe, when they ask where I am from, I say Vancouver, Canada, the reply will then often be "Oh, you are American!"
You're from Vancouver in British Columbia?? Cool8) One of my dads cousins moved there in 1924....started out working as a logger, then for the railroad....he lived in Pitt Meadows...nice place I've heard...

You're from Vancouver in British Columbia?? Cool8) One of my dads cousins moved there in 1924....started out working as a logger, then for the railroad....he lived in Pitt Meadows...nice place I've heard...

Yep, nice place in the summer, it's a little cold rainy in the winter {probably like Glasgow}
Come and visit sometime. :)

Well, you are American...North American! :twisted:

Be careful of that statement, I think the Mexicans think the same way... :)

"We're all Americans, so why have any borders, Senor-es!!" :shock:

As a lowly britt i dont think il ever get an award,but im open to offers .Seriosly i think most of the awards go to to high management for favours done ,some going to famous names and a few going to well deserving hard workers

But my question is...is it still a big deal to get the award. I mean, if you meet someone that has a OBE or MBE or they have been knighted, is it something to still be impressed about?

I'm English living in Scotland and therefore would consider myself British.

The Scots probably see themselves as Scottish.

I would still think a medal from the Queen is considered a great honour. Personally...nah...couldn't care less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back