Question to our English friends

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But my question is...is it still a big deal to get the award. I mean, if you meet someone that has a OBE or MBE or they have been knighted, is it something to still be impressed about?

Well seeing as the Queen is about 82 years old I hope she doesn't slip with that sword and lop off something!! :shock: :D

Dunno about Scotsman in Scotland. Plenty of Scots in England so evens out the score.

But you will never get me in a kilt.

I'm not nationalist unless people start bad mouthing the Spitfire and then I do.

Medals...not got one...never will.

Don't worry about the mistake, Thor. The Welsh and Scottish moan all day long but they've got it a lot better than the English; since they live off our taxes - the Welsh get their free prescriptions, the Scottish get their free university education ... the English get taxed. Makes you wonder why we bothered conquering them both. :rolleyes: They don't mind being called British when it's the BRITISH Empire...aside from the fact it should be called English Empire since the Welsh and Scottish didn't join willingly.

On the issue of honours; I think that only very few are worthwhile - they've been wasted on sports personalities and popular names. Sir Francis Drake would be turning in his grave if he knew what a knighthood meant today.

Don't worry about the mistake, Thor. The Welsh and Scottish moan all day long but they've got it a lot better than the English; since they live off our taxes - the Welsh get their free prescriptions, the Scottish get their free university education ... the English get taxed. Makes you wonder why we bothered conquering them both. :rolleyes: They don't mind being called British when it's the BRITISH Empire...aside from the fact it should be called English Empire since the Welsh and Scottish didn't join willingly.

On the issue of honours; I think that only very few are worthwhile - they've been wasted on sports personalities and popular names. Sir Francis Drake would be turning in his grave if he knew what a knighthood meant today.

Wales and Scotland are not taxed the same as England on the national level? What about N Ireland?

As far as I know the Welsh and Scottish are taxed the same but they get larger subsidies off the British government (Welsh free subscriptions being one). I don't know about N.Ireland but then the Northern Irish don't moan about England as much as the Welsh or Scottish. Naturally the English population is the largest contributor to the British tax system and it seems we get the least out of it; unless anyone thinks that Britain being refered to England is worth having to pay for your university education and medical prescriptions.

then the Northern Irish don't moan about England as much as the Welsh or Scottish.

OK, Plan, I'm alittle backward on things happening in the UK but I thought that for the past, oh, 100 years, the Northern Irish (IRA) were blowing up all things British? Am I wrong?

The IRA were mostly active during the '60s and '70s. And yes, ever since 1921 there has been trouble from the Catholic Northern Irish. I was largely talking about pointless moaning; the troubles in Northern Ireland are largely a clash amongst themselves with the British government looking on in dismay (because it can't do anything).

All that in Northern Ireland has become quiet compared to thirty years ago. Most of the troubles in Northern Ireland now are easily comparable to the problems on mainland U.K. - the Catholic and Protestant clashes seem like the gangfights we have in London between the various Chav gangs. Modern generations have no real conviction when it comes to their beliefs, they just want to cause trouble.

I have to point out that the IRA are Catholic Northern Irish terrorists as are their brethren the Real IRA. To lump all the Northern Irish as the IRA would get you in a whole load of trouble from the Protestants that live there, the supporters of Great Britain. The Protestant trouble-makers are the UDF (Ulster Defence Force) and UDA (Ulster Defence Army).

The argument from both sides has some merit and it's quite hard to take sides. Naturally being 'protestant' British I would want to support the protestants over there that want to stay part of Great Britain (God knows why they'd want that) - especially since the Protestants have been the majority over there from sometime. It's changing now though with the Catholic population boom; their want of returning to Eire seems to carry more weight. Honestly, I think they should both shut up and just get on with life ... but I don't live there, so it's not my place to care about it.

But anyway, I was talking about moaning .. not blowing things up.

As far as I know the Welsh and Scottish are taxed the same but they get larger subsidies off the British government (Welsh free subscriptions being one). I don't know about N.Ireland but then the Northern Irish don't moan about England as much as the Welsh or Scottish. Naturally the English population is the largest contributor to the British tax system and it seems we get the least out of it; unless anyone thinks that Britain being refered to England is worth having to pay for your university education and medical prescriptions.

So the different regions receive different entitlements??? That seems a policy that will breed only resentment, as exclusionary policies towards their citizens always do... not to mention taking more tax money.

OK, lads, just what are "The Knights of The Garter" and "The Ladies
of The Garter" ? Sir Winston Churchill and his daughter, Lady Mary
Soames are both members. Is this an honor (or honour) like the
MBE and OBE ?? Is it presented by Her Majesty, the Queen ?

Charles

Sir Edmund Hillary was the only New Zealand member of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

His seat in the chapel has been roped off since his death so that no person may sit in it.

His flag will be removed soon at a memorial service to be held by Her Majesty The Queen.

After this is done a 24th member may be admitted to the order in his place.

When did England conquer Scotland? The union was agreed on paper. It was A Scottish king who became King of England. The SNP want independence so they haven't intention to sponge of anyone. Also Scottish oil pays for itself.

Again Scotland pays its way more than some regions or counties of England. If you believe Scotland has it easier then whose fault is that?

Scotland certainly did very well under the union and it does annoy that the Scottish don't see this.

Scottish troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan doing their bit as part of the British Armed Forces.

A Scotsman is not English and it is not factually correct to say so. But they are British and most accept that as read.

Another Scot who has failed to read the history books. The matter of the monarchy is largely unimportant given the fact that European monarchy is inbred, and if we go off your logic then Great Britain is German, Dutch or French.

Sure, Scotland signed the Act of Union in 1707 but they hardly wanted to be brought under English rule; the monarch might have been Scottish but the Parliament wasn't. England conquered the British Isles, it's an easily understood fact; winning Bannockburn doesn't mean Scotland conquered England.

It's not Scottish oil; it's English. It's in international waters and was mostly paid for by English money - making it all English. Scotland's economy would not be able to survive without English money - I hope Scotland does break away completely. Fact of the matter is, they won't. England will always support Scotland - they'll claim independance and still live off English money.

Scotland and Wales both have it easier because the 'British' Government is soft and anyone but white English straight males get everything they want.

I never said that Scottish troops weren't doing their part because they certainly are. They're no better or worse than English troops - and serve the United Kingdom with equal skill and valour. The worth of Scottish troops was not brought into question, ever.

You're right, a Scotsman isn't English. And you'd be right to correct people on that, but moaning about being British (which a lot of Scots, Welsh and English do) is stupid.

As for Scotland paying more than some English counties - I should bloody hope so...the population of Scotland is around 5 million - there's some counties with less than 200,000. In fact, the only area in England that matches Scotlands population is London with 8 million.

And yes, mkloby, all the regions receive different entitlements.

I'm English. From the North West of England. Near Manchester.

I'm not Scottish. Never is and Never was and Never shall be.

The inshore oil facilities are in Scotland. The oil is British.

I consider myself British and I'm proud of this.

The Spitfire is a good case. It is not an English plane. The wing designer was a Canadian! But it was flown and built and maintained by people from all over the UK and the Commonwealth and Free forces. It is a British aircraft representing British technology and the British people who came in contact with it. The first Spitfire kill was over the Forth.

Your views just play into the hands of the SNP who want to divide UK and claim that Britishness doesn't mean anything.

I am also proud of being British - I do not generally refer to myself as being English, but I am proud of my English history also. I am also disgusted when England forgets the 23rd April.

The Union has made this island's history and it's future. I will only argue against Scotland and Wales when they start their idiotic rants against England - who have less to gain from the Union than both Scotland and Wales.

The SNP are idiots; they know full well that Scotland could not survive on its own. If they believe it could they would soon be in for a shock. The fact of the matter is, it's not the 1940s anymore and "Britishness" is not what it once was. There's no national pride, and no love of the Union Jack. We live in a self-centered society with no conviction, no backbone and no mutual support. It's all f*$k you, Jack, I'm alright. The legendary BMW driver, White Van Man, Lager Lout, Football Hooligan is a perfect example of modern "Britishness". To me, waving a flag for a sports event does not make you patriotic but for some reason most of Britain thinks it is. They say it's unpatriotic to bet against England's football team ... why? Football isn't important it's a game, and I know we'll lose - so I want to make money. When it comes to the BRITISH Armed Forces I'll back them wherever they go, and whatever they do. And I'll stand up for my country against anyone who thinks they're worth one speck of British soil. But the people of Britain are still dicks ... whether they're English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish.

ummmm........sorry guys. Didn't want this thread to get chippy.

But hey!!! It's almost Friday!!!!! Good times ahead :)

I'm working over the weekend.:rolleyes:

This is not chippy...merely a discussion between English gentleman.:D

As a reader of history, I know that today is the best time to be alive. Would I rather die of the Black Plague...no. Would I rather be in the trenches of the Somme...no.

You mention the 1940s as a golden age of Britain...

But we faced invasion, we were at war, the Yankee Doodles were drinking our beer and taking our birds and the country was flat broke!

As someone once said...even the poorest in our society can be fat!:p Where poverty means not having satellite TV.

I hate BMWs as much as anyone and the awfulness of the Yob culture. I think Football sums up the worst aspects of our society which is why I watch Rugby League and MotoGP instead.

But there are positive aspects as well. You just have to find them.

But an American, Frenchman, German can say the same thing.

The ills of modern society and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back