Quotes and Jokes (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG-20230524-WA0002.jpg

The Stuart was the Presidential Guard tank in Mexico for some decades after WWII.
Hi, I've always been interested in funny stories in history, and saw that you once posted about a P-39 pilot accidentally tossing his sandwich into his air intake during a ferrying to Alaska. I was wondering, basically, what exactly happened? Who flew the plane? Did he live or die in the crash?

a P-39 pilot accidentally tossing his sandwich into his air intake during a ferrying to Alaska. I
That is the sum total of my knowledge of the incident. I think we can presume that he crashed but lived through it, since there was someone left to tell the tale. I did note that the P-63 manual describes what seems to me to be an unusually large number of options for alternate air sources. When you think about it, that intake probably is pretty susceptible to closing off due to icing and no doubt the experiences of both USAAF P-39's in AK as well as Soviet combat experiences would have detected that.

That is the sum total of my knowledge of the incident. I think we can presume that he crashed but lived through it, since there was someone left to tell the tale. I did note that the P-63 manual describes what seems to me to be an unusually large number of options for alternate air sources. When you think about it, that intake probably is pretty susceptible to closing off due to icing and no doubt the experiences of both USAAF P-39's in AK as well as Soviet combat experiences would have detected that.
Yeah but we want to know, was the guy "toast".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back