Quotes and Jokes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Q-wait beer.png

I'm struggling to understand why removing the maths requirement makes things "more equitable". Seems to me that it simply perpetuates the under-representation of some ethnic groups in engineering and the sciences. Given the prevalence of software development and technology jobs in today's marketplace, surely increasing maths skills is more relevant to the workforce...or am I missing something?

Last edited:
re education and "Is it a right to remain ignorant?"

Yes :study:. . . according to past and present US law, and past and present US education traditions (public and private) . . . and it is evident in the US historical record. All you have to do is look at the ignorance displayed by people, more obvious at some times in US history than at others.

Whether it should be a right has been debated repeatedly over the years, including what standards should be met. It has continued to be a de-facto right largely due to the source of the primary education problem, ie the parents. There is no practical way to consistently defeat the ignorance inducing effect of a child's parents - the parent's influence is just too great. In some cases the resulting ignorance is intentional on the part of the parent, but most often is due to the ignorance of the parent. As we have often discussed in this forum, history is a good example of the parent induced ignorance effect.

But part of the stated focus of the US public education system (from its inception in the late-1800s) has always been to prevent marginalization of the less knowledgable - and the intent has never been to prevent a child from being able to get a job, or even making it harder to get a job based on their grades. The exact opposite is the case, ie the intent has been/still is to socially integrate the population - to whatever degree practical - through common experience, understanding (including whatever academic knowledge they are able to impart to the child), and thereby provide opportunity.

Oh, and children were just as stupid in our day as today. :-\" I remember.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back