Quotes and Jokes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many years ago one of my accounts go to man was about to retire. As merely to make conversation, I said, "I guess you will have time to play golf." His response was, "Let me tell you about my experience with golf. When I was 14 my father wanted to interest me in some kind of sports. He set me up with a neighbor early one Saturday morning to caddy for him. We get to the course, tee off and he says " Well, come on" and I say, where. He says after the ball. I said, I'll wait in the car."

This story is from Jeff Murray who flew as my co-pilot before he was promoted to Aircraft Commander. It was originally published in the 281st AHC Newsletter.
It's September 1969 and I'm sitting in our temporary compound outside a Special Forces camp at Mai Loc, a few miles west of Quang Tri, South Vietnam. We were there supporting Project Delta as they recon'd far northern I Corps.
When a mortar lands somewhere near the wire, I beat feet for the nearest bunker and land in a hole next to my platoon leader who asks "Why are you here?" "Taking cover" was my educated reply. "You're the standby pilot" he replies. "Oh." So I beat feet for the aircraft, a UH-1C gunship assigned to my unit, the 281st Assault Helicopter Company.
The problem is I am in my underwear and flip-flops, my recently washed Nomex flight suit is hanging on a tent rope somewhere not near me. Not to worry though, I arrive at the aircraft, jump in and here comes the crew. A co-pilot dressed appropriately, a gunner without a shirt and a crew chief draped in a towel and flip-flops himself, as he came from the outdoor shower. We launched, we found nothing to shoot at but we had to go to Quang Tri to refuel.
Following protocol I jumped out and manned the portable fire extinguisher while the crew chief and gunner refueled us, it was a bit different looking as the crew chief's towel stayed inside the aircraft so it wouldn't blow off and maybe foul a control or two.
While standing there doing my duty as fire guard someone walked up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and there stood a Marine Major in starched fatigues and shiny boots carrying a clipboard. "What do you think you are doing?" I believe I remember him asking.
Well, I was almost 11 months into my tour and feeling short but he was a Major and I was a lowly Warrant Officer 1 dressed in OD green boxer shorts and a matching t-shirt with my helmet on and my visor down so in my best military manner I answered him: "We're putting fuel in the helicopter sir." I thought that was a proper answer and it must have been because he stared at me for a few seconds and did a rather smart about face and walked off. And as he walked away, I heard him mutter "F-ing Army." I think that was a compliment!

Just for interest sake did anyone know that if you reverse the year 2019 you get 9102.

Then if you take the 9 off the front you get 102.

Then if you then if you halve the 102 and divide the 9 by three you get 51 and 3.

Add these together and you get 54.

It doesn't mean anything at all but thanks for reading anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread