RAAF Kittyhawks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pyn Up do a 1/48th scale set
Not any more, unfortunately. Pyn-Up was a specialty branch of Meteor Productions which just went out of business over the last couple of weeks. That won't really affect the availability of these sheets much, as the Pyn Up line was limited edition to begin with and this particular sheet has been outta production for some time. But with the company having gone bye-bye, they may now command a higher price. So if you're interested in picking any of them up, and you have the dough, grab 'em if and when you see 'em.

:cool: pics.:D Anything more about the model Wildcat?

It's a 1:48 die cast model from the Franklin Mint Armour Collection. You can also get Geoff Atherton's "Cleopatra III" When he served with 80 sqn RAAF from the same company.

Attachments

• 80sqnRAAF3.jpg
    80sqnRAAF3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 80sqnRAAF8.jpg
    80sqnRAAF8.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 80sqnRAAF10.jpg
    80sqnRAAF10.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 80sqnRAAF12.jpg
    80sqnRAAF12.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 346
Ya I have the Italeri version of that to build!

I've seen the Cleo III version you speak of Wildcat at my local hobbie store I was wondering if you had it.

THX Wildcat, these pics are excellent.Great !!!!
Possible, the P-40 will be the next model for assembling.:D

Not to change the subject but a few of you might be interested in this photo. Especially the Hawker Hurricane, I heard that not a lot of them reached Australia.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 221
Not to change the subject but a few of you might be interested in this photo. Especially the Hawker Hurricane, I heard that not a lot of them reached Australia.

:D THX for the pic Mic.
It seems that these planes reflect almost all stuff that RAAF was equipped with in that time. :lol:

Paul it was a joke ....I know they had much more types of a/c.
But I have to admit that these four planes in the pic look like a kind of exhibition.

Paul it was a joke ....I know they had much more types of a/c.
But I have to admit that these four planes in the pic look like a kind of exhibition.

No biggy :lol: Ive been looking at the different types of aircraft used by the RAAF and was suprised at how many different types of aircraft they did use. It was quite suprised at the variety and types.

I agree.Unfortunately there is quite limited knowledge on RAAF equipment in Poland.But it changes gradually.:D

You mentioned 76 squadron RAAF. Was that the one that defended Port Moresby during the desparate Spring of 42?

That was 75 sqn. No. 76 sqn first went into action alongside 75 sqn in the Battle of Milne Bay in August '42 - The Kittyhawks being a major factor in the Australian victory.
Some pics of 76 at Milne Bay. The pilot in the top two pics is SqnLdr Keith "Bluey" Truscott DFC, with (off the top of my head) 15 enemy a/c destroyed to his credit. He was KIFA in March 43 in Australia.

Attachments

• 76sqnRAAF4.gif
    76sqnRAAF4.gif
    77.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 76sqnRAAF6.jpg
    76sqnRAAF6.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 76sqnRAAF8.jpg
    76sqnRAAF8.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 264

Infact this was the one and only Hurricane to serve in the RAAF in Australia. It's serial number was V7476, Clave did a profile of it a while back. That photo shows it at 1APU (Aircraft Performance Unit) at Laverton in 1944.

One was flown to Oz after the evacuations of Java and Singapore - it was the only Hurricane to survive the melée.

Regarding Dick Creswell's Kittyhawk, I have the Academy markings for his P-40E in 1:72 if anyone's interested. They haven't provided the stbd. side flag, or serials, but the rest is there. I also have the tally Ho! markings for P-40M A29-359 MP-A 'Jen 1' in 1:72.

Other companies that do Aussie P-40 decals (1:72) are:

Aussie Decals 72004 RAAF P-40 Kittyhawks
Aussie Decals 72016 RAAF P-40E/N Kittyhawks
Red Roo decals RRD7208 P-40N Kittyhawk A29-629 BU-B 'Cleopatra'
Red Roo Decals RRD7209 P-40N Kittyhawk A29-563 HU-L 'Black magic'
Red Roo Decals RRD7210 P-40N Kittyhawk A29-441 HU-H 'Sportsman special'
Red Roo Decals RRD7211 P-40N's A29-1147 BU-G, and A29-607 BU-G
Superscale 72-175 P-40's. Including RAAF 76,77, and 80 sqns.
Tally Ho! 72008 RAAF P-40N 78 sqn 'Watch my form'
Ventura Decals V7212 Includes RAAF P-40N
Ventura Decals V7269 Includes RAAF P-40N

Hasegawa's original release of the P-40N in 1:72 also had markings for A29-629 'Cleopatra'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back