RAAF Kittyhawks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ah ok A4K.

Italeri have also released in 1:48 a P 40 N with the Cleo III markings which I have.

Re RAAF Kittyhawks, has anyone got any pics of 82 sqn birds with checkers on their tails? The only photo I've seen is the one below. Also has anyone got pics of 120(NEI) sqn P40's? They served in Australia and New Guinea and were a combined Dutch/RAAF unit. I have only found a couple of pics shown below. (bottom two)

Attachments

• 82sqnRAAF.jpg
    82sqnRAAF.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 325
  • 120(NEI)sqn.jpg
    120(NEI)sqn.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 120(NEI)sqn1.jpg
    120(NEI)sqn1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for the tips guys, the AWM site doesn't have any of 82 sqn Kittyhawks, however I found some profiles of 120(NEI) sqn aircraft. As I mentioned this was a combined Dutch/Australian sqn with the aircrew being Dutch and the majority of the groundcrew being from the RAAF. They saw action pretty late in the war, first at Meruake in Dutch New Guinea followed by a move to Biak were they undertook more intensive ground attack missions.
Profiles from WINGS PALETTE - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk/Tomahawk - Netherlands

Attachments

• xxxx.jpg
    xxxx.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 199
  • xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 222
  • xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 192
Great Wildcat! That last one looks nice - even has the SNAFU expression! ('Situation Normal, All F***ed Up' for anyone not familiar with it- common expression round RNZAF/RAAF personnel during the pacific campaign)

I've only got one picture of the 120th squadron, but it's small and doesn't help much, sorry.

Attachments

• 4_26816.jpg
    4_26816.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 185
Here are two more pics of 120(NEI) sqn aircraft I found from links supplied to me by Marcel. I thought some of you guys would be interested in seeing some more pics of an otherwise forgotten unit.

Attachments

• 120(NEI)sqn2.jpeg
    120(NEI)sqn2.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 120(NEI)sqn3.jpg
    120(NEI)sqn3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 850
The pictures are from a docu broadcasted on dutch television in 2001. It has some unique moving pictures of the unit. Don't know if you found it on the site I provided, wildcat, but for tose who want to see, click on the "Video"link on the folowing website (You'll need realplayer)
/Geschiedenis Andere Tijden: Merauke

It's in unfortunaltely in dutch, but it has some nice footage. It tells the sory about 3 vets of the 120th, quite touching.

Awesome stuff Marcel and Wildcat.

Also will make special mentions of the co operated B 25 bombers.

I checked out the vid Marcel, I can't understand Dutch but it had some nice colour footage. Even had a (blink and you'll miss it) shot of a RAAF vultee Vengeance from 12 sqn. Way cool :cool:
As for the B25 squadron- 18(NEI)- Heinz, I hadn't really mentioned them mainly because their contribution is relatively better known. From all accounts they carved an excellent reputation for themselves. That squadron was also different in that it had RAAF aircrew unlike 120 sqn.

Attachments

• 18(NEI)sqn2.jpg
    18(NEI)sqn2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 189

Users who are viewing this thread

Back