Rare Crazy Panzer Projekts.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, well I suppose it seems a lot of information was lost at the end of WWII. Perhaps it was lost then, the data that you seek...

Btw, was that Pz Ic the ultra-armoured Pz I variant, or was that another one?
Kris

Panzer 1 aucf C info in the page behind this.

Probably you are refering to the VK 1801 ,a 21 tons tank also named as "Panzer 1 ausf F"

extra3.jpg

030.jpg

Yes, I was.

That Pz IF (or VK 1801) is rather enigmatic. Can't think of any tank that has its weight more than tripled. I think it had more potential than was credited. With a MK it could have been a good recon, with a Stummelkanone a good StuG and later a good tank hunter with a RPzB.

Kris

Thanks Charles. Do you have some more information on how these babies performed on the battlefield. I seem to recall that the few that were built were used on the Ostfront. I can imagine them doing ok but the lack in firepower would have meant they were of little value.

Kris

That was really interesting! Thanks !!

I also noticed that the Pz IIM had a 28mm gun. IIRC, that was one of those tapered guns with the rare tungsten cored ammunition. I suppose that would have ended the program in the end.

The Pz IIH seems more enigmatic but I suppose the Pz IIL was better protected.

Kris

Yea, the 2,8cm kwk 42 mentioned in the Lexikon site is a projeckt called "Maschinenkanone MK 8202" it was devloped by Mauser, it used conical bore Spzb 41 hard core bullet but with a enlarged cartrigde case to asure higher initial speed. The cannon was automatic , belt fed and operated by recoil, and it was intented to use it in several design of light weight vehicles.

The design was good but no enough wolfram to use it.

Spzb 41 in armored car.

sd221_2.jpg

Yep, the second angle looked more like a Recon car that I knew. Thanks CharlesBronson. That looks interesting. I didn't know the Germans were working on anything like the Sherman Calliope. How interesting. Are there any actual photos of them, the Panzer IV and the Panther with these attached?

CB, do you have any more information on that Pz IV? (besides what's written next to the image)

Kris

No I really dont have.

Panzerkampfwagen IV with Panther Schmalturm

Given the growing resistance of allied tanks to German anti-tank guns, plans were developed to categorically up-gun the entire range of German tanks toward the end of World War II. One possible answer was affixing the Schmalturm of the Panther Ausf. F to the Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf. J chassis. The drawing above gives a good indication of what the conversion would look like.

pz4panthva7.jpg

Unfortunately, like so many other late-war German projects, this conversion was impractical. The chassis of the panzerkampfwagen IV was severely overloaded by the schmalturm. Furhtermore, it is doubtful the turret ring of the Panzer IV would have been able to accomodate the turret unless the overhang was widened (which was suggested in one schematic). However this would have further overloaded an already burdened chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back