Rare Richtofen video clip

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys, I got sent a link to this; a fascinating clip of Richtofen taking off and flying a Fokker Triplane. The date of the clip is 3 September 1917. Watching the clip, there are a few things that stand out; note the aiercraft serial Fok FI 102 - this was Richtofen's first Triplane he flew and he scored two victories in it, the second at the end of the footage, where you'll see the airman he shot down and an enthusiastic Antony Fokker guesturing with his hands. The British airman was Lt Algernon Bird of 46 Sqn flying Sopwith Pup B1795 and he was Richtofen's 61st victory. Enjoy the clip.

ULTRA-RARE footage of the most famous fighter pilot ever

Watch on youtube here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIiuyijwKRs

Yep, think it is, Geo. Someone with better knowledge could name all those guys.

That is indeed a fantastic find. That "flying suit" was amazing to see. At 3:06 paused it and stepped through and it's hard to say but it does look like him and the uniform looks correct. The end is also amazing, the "good old boys" flying club except when I'm trying to kill you...
705287a6675552fb9d57a2e581ad9a3d--pilots-october.jpg

Hmmm...5 squirts into each cylinder to prime the engine, just like my chainsaw!

Also, anyone else think the chap on the left at the end of the clip, the one wearing the long raincoat, looks like Zilly from "Stop the Pigeon"?

Dastardly4.jpg

Great video clip, though! Thanks for sharing!

looks like Zilly from "Stop the Pigeon"?

Wasn't he modelled off Antony Fokker?!

Just looking at that clip again, the clip with Goering in it, (from 3.05) the guy with the part in his hair looks like Rudolf Berthold, although he doesn't have a moustache, while the guy with the closely shaven head to the right is definitely Lothar von Richthofen.

Last edited:
Good stuff there, Graeme. It's no surprise that Bird didn't like Richtofen; from the info you provided, Bird didn't like the way he was treated like a trophy. In warfare, that is what he was, though and I'm sure it would have got the ire of many men.

Just a bit more on the clip; I found a photo taken on the same day, of Bird's Pup and the guys in the clip and it states that Fokker was wearing Bird's overcoat and head gear. Another German airman present in the last portion of the clip was Eberhard Mohnicke; he can be first seen at 4:45 clasping the stick. Also, in the first segment of the clip, the guy who turns around at 2:32 with the rather impressive nose is Walter Gottsch.

Leftenant Bird's son posted on The Aerodrome forum long ago. Said the pater was miffed at being trotted out as a trophy, but hey! He walked away unperforated when c. 85 of The Bloody Red Baron's victims were buried. And my gosh, who wouldn't like to pose with Richthofen AND Fokker? Sheesh--poor sport, that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back