Rare Aviation films/newsreels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fortunately there are sharp eyed members like you

I don't know about that, too much time spent looking at books instead of going outside to play... There's one that is stumping me in that last clip; at 28:33 there's a two seat three bay biplane powered by what looks like a Hispano Suiza Vee 8 engine, which I can't identify. Like the footage of the Handley Page bomber, it's often overlooked that during Billy Mitchell's bombing demonstrations of ships off the Outer Banks, these were among the formations of aircraft that took part in the bombing.

I don't know about that, too much time spent looking at books instead of going outside to play...

Ditto that childhood! :thumbleft:

There's one that is stumping me in that last clip; at 28:33 there's a two seat three bay biplane powered by what looks like a Hispano Suiza Vee 8 engine, which I can't identify.

Is this the one we're looking for Nuuumann (Grant?)?

Clipboard01.jpg

Yep that's the beastie. Don't know what it is. Looks like it has a ply skinned fuselage and that radiator looks like a smoke stack.

First thought was something along the lines of the LWF G.2?

Hmm, had to look that up too, Graeme and I don't think it is since the LWF has a Liberty V-12 whereas our mystery machine has what appears to be a Hisso V-8, also it's three bay, whereas the LWF is two bay. The tail is distinctive. I'll have to keep looking...

that radiator looks like a smoke stack.

G'day Grant.

Posted the photo elsewhere and a very clever friend suggested the possibility it may be an "experimental" wheeled version of the N-9H?

Maybe.jpg

Y'know Graeme, you might have cracked it; it certainly looks the part. Nice detective work.

Bizarre bird, the US aircraft design at that time were not very mature I suppose.

Yeah, the Curtiss company was one of the very few US manufacturers that produced good indigenous designs that saw use beyond the USA.

Bingo?

Found in Aerofiles by that very clever friend of mine - but minimal history provided for it...

murray-carnes.jpg

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ??

Hi Charles.

I'm thinking one of the Caproni Ca 3 series. You can make out the triple tail and the pusher prop at the back - but the top wing gondola gunner's position is new to me. Usually you see a cage-like construction at the back. I have read that the French manufactured the Caproni under license, so I wonder if they tweaked and experimented with the design?

In that you could see a early french "gunship" firing a 37mm in the ground, the biplane is (I think) a Voisin VII.

I agree - a Voisin of some description.

But at the very start or your clip - looks like a Breguet Br.M5...

br5.JPG

Pusher.jpg

Fascinating clips as always mate! :thumbleft:
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back