Rare Aviation films/newsreels (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Happy revolution day for everyone

Yes indeed Happy Veinticinco de Mayo (for yesterday), CB.

Nice clips, the Onree Farman HF.20 was available in numbers in the first year or two of the war, but was obsolescent by mid 1915; during the Dardanelles campaign the commander of 3 Sqn RNAS, Charles Samson described them as "useless", preferring the steel tube Farman F.27 with its more powerful Canton Unne radial.

Just a wee note about the clip aboard HMS Argus, Bell-Davies was only the fourth aerial VC recipient, carrying out the first aerial combat rescue of Lt Smyllie, who was forced down over enemy lines late in the Dardanelles campaign (again), whilst under fire.

Last edited:
Yes indeed Happy Veinticinco de Mayo (for yesterday), CB.

Nice clips, the Onree Farman HF.20 was available in numbers in the first year or two of the war, but was obsolescent by mid 1915; during the Dardanelles campaign the commander of 3 Sqn RNAS, Charles Samson described them as "useless", preferring the steel tube Farman F.27 with its more powerful Canton Unne radial.

Just a wee note about the clip aboard HMS Argus, Bell-Davies was only the fourth aerial VC recipient, carrying out the first aerial combat rescue of Lt Smyllie, who was forced down over enemy lines late in the Dardanelles campaign (again), whilst under fire.

Interesting, are the last ones HF20 ?
Thanks for the adition on the carrier test vid, I think Bell-Davies was killed in one of those carrier test, cant recall well, I believe there is another clip with the Strutter falling into the sea.

can anyone indentify this old string birds.

Charles, I think they're Farman F.20s....

(EDIT : Sorry, didn't realise there was a Page 2 and Numann had answered this a while ago. :()

Maybe.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, thanks Graeme, I should have replied sooner. Here's an H.F.20 that's come to grief in circumstances unrecorded - taken during the Dardanelles campaign in mid 1915.

CrashedHF20s_zps35f6138a.jpg

CrashedHF20iis_zps73b56a98.jpg

yep, Nieuport 11s, although the aircraft with the rear firing gun mount looks like a Morane Saulnier Parasol. I thought it was possibly a Nieuport 10, which was a two seater, but it has a flat rear deck, which the Nieuport didn't have and there's a lack of interplane struts.

Pondered this clip today. At around 43 seconds you see this close-up shot...

unknown.JPG

Now have a look at these two shots, looking at the strut arrangement and that "plate" on the side....

10.jpg

12.jpg

To me it matches the top one rather than the lower one. It's a Nieuport 10. The lower one is the Nieuport 11 with the single support struts. But that line-up at the start of the clip could well be Nieuport 10s and 11s. Hard to tell.

And what they're chasing at the end of the clip...

Clipboard01.jpg

Is it a Maurice Farman MF.11 Shorthorn??...

mf11.jpg

I could well be wrong Charles, I'm an amateur - but I have fun trying!

Thanks for posting the clips mate, enjoyable and educational - keep'em coming! :thumbright:

You could be right, Graeme. The Nieuport X C.1 was a purpose built single seater variant that led to the XI; the line up in the first shot shows Nieuport XIs, but there are probably the Xs in there as well. Nice work.

Gents - it takes off as an AEG as Charles says, but at around 5 minutes 30 seconds it lands as an...Albatross of sorts??

Capture.JPG

Nice clip CB. Happy Veinte de Junio, by the way, I hope you're enjoying the long weekend...

Thanks, excesively long for my taste , for independent workers is not very good.

Gents - it takes off as an AEG as Charles says

Yea, the differences between the two planes are quite evident, maybe it is an Albatross DIII.

Hi CB, An Albatros D V, you can tell by the Vee struts and if they have a wee detuning strut attached to the forward strut of the V down to the lower wing, it's a D Va.

Hi CB, An Albatros D V, you can tell by the Vee struts and if they have a wee detuning strut attached to the forward strut of the V down to the lower wing, it's a D Va.

I still cant learn to differentiate that family biplanes, fortunately there are sharp eyed members like you.:mrgreen:

A very interesting 28 min clip dealing with manufacture under licence in USA of several european warplanes including the Handley page heavy bomber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back