Rare warplane found on the bottom of Vesterhavet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
Fly3_636387a.gif

Heinkel HE-219 found in Denmark - Politiken.dk

By Pia Buhl Andersen, edited by Julian Isherwood.

A rare World War II German night-fighter has been recovered in Denmark

Danish divers and the Aviation History Society (DFS) of Denmark have recovered a rare World War II German night-fighter off the northern Jutland peninsula and are to restore the aircraft.

The only known other full example of the aircraft is said to be in the United States, where it was taken following the war after it and two other of the aircraft were confiscated by US Army Intelligence Service from the Grove Air Force Base in Jutland, Denmark.

One of the more advanced aircraft to be built during WWII, it was the first military aircraft in the world to be equipped with ejection seats and was equipped with an effective VHF intercept radar designed to seek out and attack allied bombers. It is also said to be one of the first operational aircraft with cockpit pressurisation.

Fly_636388h.jpg

Found in the Tannis Bay between Hirtshals and Skagen in Denmark, the plane's tricycle landing gear gave it away.

"Landing gear is just like a fingerprint on humans, but I found it difficult to believe that we had such a rare aircraft in Denmark," says DFS Chairman and aircraft archaeologist Ib Lødsen adding the recovery was like waiting for a Christmas present.

"It was so exciting. You never know whether you're going to get what you want. I was a little disappointed," he adds, saying that wires to the aircraft's instruments had been cut, suggesting that someone had tampered with the aircraft previously.

The only parts of the aircraft that remain to be found are one of its two engines and part of the tail, which probably included the aircraft number, which in turn would help determine why the aircraft ended up in Tannis Bay.

The aircraft is now to be transported to the Garrison Museum in Aalborg where it is to be restored and exhibited.

Fly2_636389h.jpg

"People interested in aircraft will come from all over to see it. It's something of a sensation," Lødsen says.

Only some 294 of the aircraft, which was nicknamed Eagle-Owl, were ever built for the Luftwaffe. The Heinkel HE-219 in the United States, which until now was said to be the last existing aircraft of its type, was flown from Denmark to Cherbourg in France in 1945 where it was packed aboard the British aircraft carrier HMS Reaper and taken to America as part of the Lusty intelligence operation to glean technical information from German aircraft.

The exhibit is currently at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum annex at Washington Dulles Airport.

Great stuff Maria - and to think I must have walked past its resting place many times; I used to stay at the Tannis Hus hotel on Tannis Bugt when working in Denmark.

check out 12 o'clock high discussion board, I just put my two cents about armament, seems that there is some confusion why only the belly guns available and the wing cannons removed.

I read about the amazing recovery of such a rare and beautifull warplane.
One of the divers saying having found mg131 magazine along the wreck, does anyone know by now the exact serie of this 219 ?
If an 219A-5/R4, this would be much more than great !!!

I don't think that the He219 had a cockpit pressurisation. It didn't need one, because the attacking height of the Lancaster was far below 25000 ft so oxygen masks were sufficient.
cimmex

Hi !
He 219A-7, following V25, 26 and 27 where the most important service versions of the a/c and were provided with cockpit pressurization and ejector seat for both crew members, plus many armament/avionic/radar/armour improvement.
The goal was to obtain a very fast, potent all weather,high altitude, night, hard puching fighter, plus highly crew protective a/c.
Certainly a complicated compromise, but the a/c almost matched the goals,scoring many kills over lancasters and mosquitos and much,beloved by crews.

No pressurized cockpit on the 219. And no A-5 from serial production (just another myth). There's a lot of BS in old books about the 219. BTW just the A-0, A-2 and A-7 were produced in significant numbers, all other inbetween either never left the design stage or only built in some prototypes.

Hi Denniss.
Old books can be wrong, yes it happens.
As well as newer ones.
Pls go get a look at nasm site, owning an A2/R4 in actual restauration process.
It's recent and reliable, the a/c being under very qualified engeeniers hands.
Ps : i'm only questioning
myself about A5/R4 caus' a V would be even more highly improbable.
Diver seem reliable, so why any MG 131 magazine out there ???
Just questioning, nothing more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back