Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Picked up these today for my diorama! Dragon 1/35 Sherman M4A4 with crew, Tamiya American infantry set with 8 men, and a Dragon Luftwaffe Infantry set of 4 men, all for $65! I'll just not paint the Luftwaffe guys as Luftwaffe guys. I know it looks like I'm short on Germans, but I have to dismantle my other diorama which has 5 on it (but will have to be re-painted) plus there are some laying around from prior times (which will also need to be repainted), so I should be ok. Any tips on getting a good skin tone? My previous guys haven't been that good.

Great buys Cory! Dragon figures are beautifully sculpted, and look great when done. For the skin tones, it's better to use enamels, rather than acrylics (at least I think so !). Use matt white, whith a spot of yellow to make cream. Later, add a tiny touch of Dark Earth or a similar brown, and, if required a very tiny touch of red. Paint the basic colour of cream first, only very lightly thinned. When dry, then start to tone, using the cream with that very small bit of red. When this is dry, shade with the total mix, darker under the chin and the throat, and under the ears. Make hands darker. It takes a bit of time, but not too long, and if thinned correctly, you'll get a smooth appearance, without the 'grain' of acrylics on such small areas. Dirt etc can be very lightly dry-brushed. You'll probably have to try a few mixes to get a shade you're happy with, but it's a good basic method, without resorting to oils etc.
Remember to ensure that clotthing is dead matt - a frequent fault in some otherwise great figures. I normally give the finished item a thin coat of matt clear. Boots should have a bit of a 'gleam', to show the leather look, but dirtied as required, and certainly not full gloss or full matt.
Hope this helps.

You're welcome mate. If I have time, I'll try to post some pics of a couple of my figures, for a proposed 21st Panzer Divn diorama, before I go away on Wednesday. They'll (hopefully) show the effect I mean, although they are by no means up to a 'figure painter's' standard.

I haven't bought these, but can you blame me for wanting to?? I doubt (hope not) that there was a nightfighter '190, numbered "13". The Spad on the other hand, is just noising me up with those yellow and black "13's"!

Attachments

• p1142_00b.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 56
  • p1144_00b.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread