Recent Purchases (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice stuff guys, and that's a great haul there Conk. I have a feeling that Sea Vixen was dark blue. I've seen a pic of it somewhere in the past, but can't remember where.

Nice stuff guys, and that's a great haul there Conk. I have a feeling that Sea Vixen was dark blue. I've seen a pic of it somewhere in the past, but can't remember where.

Hmm interetsing that... instructions with the kit say black with grey randome. I can't turn up any specific reference to it o the 'net. The guy that did the profile has a website THUNDER AND LIGHTNINGS maybe he has a pic. Which is probably black-and-white anyway, ha ha. Black with the white lightning flashes would look über-cool.

If I remember right, there was atleast one Black Hawker Hunter, so that may be the right colour...as for the aircraft in question, I couldn't find anything on the net on her either.

yesterday, I picked up this new kind of masking tape called Frog Tape. i saw it on TV, and they say it's the only kind of tape with paint block technology. eliminates the bleeding that the blue painter's tape leaves when you peel it off. so I'm trying it out!

Last edited:
I'm just a young(ish) fulla Terry, I don't remember those times! :) :)
...but seriously - now you mention it, something was nagging at my head when I wrote that. I must have known/ read that at some point.

(Btw, no chance they tested out a Sea Vixen, eh?? :) )

Don,t forget the all black hawker hunter display team

That's the one I've just been talking about BB, the 'Black Arrows', famous for doing a 21 ship formation loop at the Farnborough Airshow, I think in 1959 or 1960. They were followed by 92 Squadron's all blue Hunters, the 'Blue Diamonds', then there was a lull before the CFS took over the display role, flying Gnats as the 'Yellow Jacks', later to become the 'Red Arrows'.
And Evan, I can only vaguley remeber the Black Arrows....cough.....

I've got a pic in a book or magazine somewher, I'll post it when I find it. They had to 'borrow' another squadron's aircraft to make up the numbers, so some were in 'normal' camouflage colours, but what a pic!!

..That's what they all say, Terry...! :)

...as for the 21-ship formation, that must have beeen a sight to see!

They were a sight to see as a squadron, all shiny black. Yes I am old enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a pic in a book or magazine somewher, I'll post it when I find it. They had to 'borrow' another squadron's aircraft to make up the numbers, so some were in 'normal' camouflage colours, but what a pic!!

The 22 Hunter loop was from what I understand Terry, made up by 43 and 56 Sqn's Hunters.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Attachments

• Hunter.JPG
    Hunter.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 69
Oops! Missed Vic's pic! Far as I know, they only did the 'big' one once a day during the Farnborough show, which in those days lasted five days I think. They did, of course, practice it a couple of times first though. As 'The Black Arrows', the team regularly performed a full Squadron loop (12 aircraft) and other moves. I only saw them once, as a youngster, but the sight and sound still sticks in my memory. Of course, Vic's old Squadron (56, the 'Firebirds'), continued the tradition of large formation aerobatics with big aircraft, flying the Lightning. Now that was something to see - once the eardrums allowed the eyes to stabilize!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back