Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The F51D is the same aircraft as the P51D, apart from possibly some updated avionics. The US changed the designation P (for Pursuit) to F (for Fighter) shortly after the end of WW2. The Italeri kit's box art shows the markings of the USAF (not USAAF) as worn during the Korean War, when retired Mustangs were brought back into service as ground-attack ships. Note the red bar in the National Markings, not used with the Star and Bar during WW2.

The F51D is the same aircraft as the P51D, apart from possibly some updated avionics. The US changed the designation P (for Pursuit) to F (for Fighter) shortly after the end of WW2. The Italeri kit's box art shows the markings of the USAF (not USAAF) as worn during the Korean War, when retired Mustangs were brought back into service as ground-attack ships. Note the red bar in the National Markings, not used with the Star and Bar during WW2.

Good info Terry! There were some minor detail changes to some F-51s in the form of extra louvres aft of the port wing, also some were were retrofitted with cameras and redesignated RF-51D.

Propeller blade types varied among the F-51s too, some carrying the standard cuffed (Hamilton Standard) blades, others the Aero Products uncuffed type associated with the P-51K and RNZAF, some RAAF, and RSAAF P-51Ds. A third type of rounded (Aero products?) uncuffed blade was also used on some aicraft.

F-51Ds could carry HVR rockets, and provision was made for upto four rocket rails per wing, although usually only three were carried in conjunction with the wing drop tanks.

:shock: :(Interesting info! Cheers

Can't believe NZ2415 isn't authentic!:( Do you know of any surviving New Zealand Mustangs?

No worries mate!

There are four survivors - this is from Kiwi Aircraft Images :

Four RNZAF P-51D Mustangs survive:

NZ2406 (c/n 124-48248, ex 45-11495) made its first flight after storage at Ardmore on August 19, 1951, after which the aircraft served with the Central Flying School. It is noted as being with 75 Sqn in July 1952, and served with 2 Sqn from June 22, 1953 to Nov 25, 1955. Sold by tender with the remaining Mustangs, no information is currently available to me on the aircraft's subsequent locations, but the remains are reputed to have eventually made their way to the RNZAF Museum. The aircraft is currently a restoration project held by Philip Warner near Cheltenham in the UK. The aircraft has been described as a nearly complete fuselage, sans wings.

NZ2417 (c/n 124-48260, ex 45-11507) served with 3 (Canterbury) TAF Squadron from June 10, 1952 to August 11, 1955). Sold in 1958 to Ron Fechney for 75 pounds, the aircraft was trucked to Omaha in South Canterbury. The aircraft wings had been torched, but a full mainplane (from NZ2409) was later acquired from Motueka. A replacement canopy and a spare engine were purchased from Cliff Horrell in Ashburton. In 1960 Ron sold a half share in the aircraft to John MacDonald. The aircraft was restored to airworthiness in November 1964. Registered as ZK-CCG, the aircraft was better known as the 'Mobil' Mustang , as the oil company supplied fuel in return for logos painted on the red and white P-51D. The aircraft acumulated approximately 120 hours as it operated around the country at a variety of events. It was placed in storage at Omaha in 1968 as the CoA came due. The aircraft was sold in 1974 to John Schauffhausen, being flown to Christchurch and then shipped to the USA. The aircraft was registered as N921, and painted as "Cripes a Mighty 3rd" as flown by Mjr. George E. Preddy of the 352nd Fighter Group. The aircraft was sold to Gene Stocker who raced it until 1978 when it was stored. In the early 1980s the aircraft underwent a complete restoration. Acquired by Kermit Weeks in 1983. The aircraft suffered damage during Hurricane Andrew in 1992 but has been restored to airworthiness. It remains with the Weeks collection.

NZ2423 (c/n 124-48266, ex 45-11513) served with 2 (Wellington) Squadron from July 12, 1954 to October 25, 1955. It was one of the four aircraft retained for use as a target tug by 42 Squadron, and was the last operational Mustang having being flown into storage on May 30, 1957. Subsequently sold by tender, the aircraft was purchased by John Smith. Today the aircraft is still in storage with Mr Smith at Mapua. Although all the parts are present, this aircraft had the wings torched off before it could be salvaged.

NZ2427 (c/n 124-48271, ex 45-11518 ) served with 3 (Canterbury) Squadron from October 17, 1952 to August 9, 1955. The aircraft had its wings torched prior to being sold by tender in 1958 to Barry North and Peter Coleman and taken to Omaka. A replacement mainplane was purchased and the aircraft was restored to taxiable standard. Peter Coleman later bought out Barry North's share and the aircraft was moved to his Benmorven Rd home. In the 1980's he moved into Blenheim and the aircraft was dismantled for storage. After his death in 1990, the now incomplete but substantial remains were purchased by the AFC with a view to restoration. However, after the purchase of ZK-PLI (see below), the project was abandoned and in 1996 the remains were sold to Maurice Hammond in the UK. Maurice began a rebuild project in Easter 1997 at his base in Eye in Suffolk. This saw the aircraft return to the air on July 13, 2001 in the hands of Rob Davies. Now fitted with a zero-timed former Phillipines Air Force Merlin, Maurice says the aircraft is still 70% original. There has been some reskinning, along with the replacement of plexiglass, control surfaces and missing and perishable components. Like many restorations, the fuselage fuel tank has been removed to make way for a second seat. The gunbays were restored with replica guns of his own manufacture. The completed aircraft has been finished in the scheme of 41-4419 'Janie' flown by Major William Price of the 351st fighter squadron of the 353rd fighter group which was based at Raydon in Essex, England. Today the former NZ2427 is based at Harwick in Norfolk, UK.

And these are the imports, same source - (You were right btw! It seems the museum's Cavalier is actually an F-51, and NZ2415 is actually an original North American product! Both cockpits have lost much of their military fittings though unfortunately):

Three other P-51D's have appeared on the New Zealand scene in the intervening years. These are:

A former Indonesian Air Force Cavalier F-51D (c/n 122-41367 ex 44-72487, 72-1541, F367) was swapped for a DH115 Vampire T.11 (NZ5708 ) in 1985. The aircraft was originally built as a P-51D-30NA at Inglewood CA. It was the last of sixteen (six in its batch) converted by the Cavalier Aircraft Corporation to F-51D specification (new engine, new avionics, taller tail, strengthened wing) for the USAF as part of the Military Assistance Programme (MAP). The Indonesians had operated a number of P-51D Mustangs, and the Cavaliers were the last of the type, with 8 F-51D COIN aircraft delivered in 1973. By 1975 most were unserviceable, and they were replaced by the OV-10F in September 1976. This aircraft has been rebuilt to P-51D configuration by the RNZAF Museum, where it is displayed as NZ2410 in the colours of 4 (Otago) Squadron of the Territorial Air force.

ZK-TAF, a P51D-30NA (c/n 122-41369, ex 44-74829, RCAF9265, N8675E, N169M, N169MD, N769MD, NL769MD) was built at Inglewood, CA (June 29, 1945) and delivered to the USAF on July 3, 1945. It was not struck off charge until January 21, 1951, although it is recorded as having been taken on charge by the Royal Canadian Air Force on January 10. It remained with the RCAF until May 14, 1959. During this time it is known to have operated with 402 Squadron at Uplands, Ontario. After its RCAF service the aircraft went back to the US where it was civilianised by Aero Enterprises Inc. of La Porte, IN and registered as N8675E. Sold to Dr Burns Byrum of Marengo, IN in 1967, the aircraft was re-registered as N169M and later as N169MD (perhaps reflecting the owners profession. The next owner was John Dilley of Muncie IN in 1967 who had the aircraft re-registered as N769MD. The aircraft passed to M. Ramsey of Johnson, KS on May 30, 1976; and then to Consolidated Airways of Fort Wayne, IN in November 1982. The last registered US owner was Fort Wayne Air Services Inc in March 1984. At some point the aircraft had been seriously damaged in a forced landing at night (pre-1973?), and now was rebuilt utilising some substantial components of an unidentified ex-Indonesian (AURI) Mustang. It was test flown at Fort Wayne, returning to the air as NL769MD on November 13, 1984. The aircraft was then imported to New Zealand by Sir Tim Wallis and re-assembled at Wigram, where it made its first New Zealand flight on January 24, 1985. The aircraft was presented in the colours of 3 (Canterbury) Squadron CO S/L Ray Archibald's aircraft NZ2415 with its distinctive red spinner. The aircraft continued to operate under its US registration until May 27, 1986 when it was registered to Alpine Helicopters Ltd. In the late 1980's Sir Tim Wallis wanted to sell the aircraft in favour of a Spitfire, so the NZ Historic Aircraft Trust was set up to keep the aircraft in New Zealand. This was successful, but the Trust could only raise sufficient funds to operate the aircraft and could not buy it outright. Major shares were bought by John Sager and Graham Bethell, while the Trust kept an interest. Graham Bethell purchased the aircraft outright in 1996. Today the aircraft is based at Ardmore and is still painted to represent NZ2415.

ZK-PLI (c/n 122-39879, ex 44-73420, N7722C) a P-51D-25NA was the last to be imported. Built at Inglewood CA in 1945, the aircraft was shipped to the Middle East on April 18, 1945. However with the war in Europe ended the ship returned to the US and the aircraft was unloaded on July 20th. The aircraft subsequently served with a number of units including the 190th fighter squadron at Boise, ID and 6 units of the Air National Guard, accumulating 1,291 hours. Retired and sold in January 1958, the aircraft was registered as N7722C to D. Bell of Livermore CA. In 1965 the aircraft passed to R. Bixler of San Jose CA, and then to R. Phillips of Vienna VA. When the aircraft went to A. Giebel of Midland TX in October 1978, it had accumulated 1495 hours (with 105 on the engine). On December 20 1984 the aircraft was registered to D. Smith of Midland TX, and when last flown in August 1985 the aircraft had completed 1857 hours (with 495 on the engine). The aircraft was sold to Brian Hore and the AFC and shipped to New Zealand in December 1993, arriving the following month. The US registration was cancelled in January 1995, and it became ZK-PLI on March 28, 1995. Because of the length of time since the aircraft was last used (eight years since the last engine run) a month was spent checking components before re-assemby at Wanaka began. The engine was run a week before the 1994 Warbirds over Wanaka airshow, with the first flight on April 1st being a day before the show. The aircraft was subsequently fitted with dual-controls manufactured by the Santa Monica Museum of Flying. It has been reported that the aircraft is painted to represent 'Isobel III' (41-3573) as flown by F/L Jack Cleland of the 363rd FS, 357th FG from Leiston. This was a temporary scheme worn during the 1998 Warbirds over Wanaka airshow. The aircraft continues to be operated in an unpainted aluminium scheme featuring US markings and the name 'Miss Torque'. Until 2004 the aircraft was operated by Bi-Plane Adventures in association with the AFC. For more information, click here. The aircraft was removed from the New Zealand register on June 4, 2004, with the aircraft having been exported to the USA.

Alright Jan..you can do it...just concentrate on the target...steady.. steady, don't think of the credit card repayments!..'attaboy, Jan!!! :) :)

:shock: Incredible info mate! Thank you! (I take it "Dove of Peace" P-51D based at Wanaka must of been a recent import to NZ)

Would love to see John Smith's collection!

Good luck Jan!

Actually I think 'Dove of peace' is the repainted 'Miss Torque'. The site needs to be updated, although as the owner, Philip Treweek, said to me in an e-mail, it's hard to find the time with young triplets to take care of..!!

I would so love to see John Smith's collection too! The sad thing is I've been reading lately of various aircraft he's sold off to kiwi owners, only to be sold shortly afterwards to the States!!! Bloody heartbreaking !!!! Is our aviation heritage sacred to no-one???

For the love of Christ!:evil:

Soon anything WW11 in New Zealand will be follwed by a big :?:

ie Non-Existant!.....FFS...what this world has come to:(

They were my thoughts as well that "Dove of Peace" was the repainted "Miss Torque"

:(

It breaks my heart to see them go :( ... all our flyers are imports, and all our originals end up flying overseas in other colours...there's just no logic in it...

Too true mate (I wonder how much worse aviation heritage in this country can get ...not much!)

Theres no logic in anything these days ,All aload of BS (Hence I no longer watch the news)

:(

Sorry chaps....didn't work at all...! :oops: :oops: :lol:

This was what I went into toon for....a man on a mission! 8)
DSCF0001-31.jpg

Then I suddenly remembered that I needed pastels, when I got close to the shop that sells them....and like by a invisible power...
DSCF0002-31.jpg

DSCF0006-20.jpg

Getting to my somewhat distant LHS I was weak already when I stepped through their door....

Got my.....
DSCF0001-31.jpg

I tried my very best to keep my back turned to their aviation secton of the shop....
Nothing I tried helped and I was first dragged screaming and kicking with my fingers trying to find a grip in the carped, to no good...
Tried to stop my hand from rising to grab this one, but like a piece of tape that won't let go.....it was stuck in my grip!
DSCF0003-29.jpg

DSCF0005-21.jpg

Slowly crawling and dragging myself to a small corner in the shop, where was shaking by the dark forces at hand, which I was completely powerless against, I was again pushed over the floor by this evil force and suddenly this one was thrown in my face and falling down into my lap...
All the time you could hear a loud evil laughter....
DSCF0004-26.jpg

Luckily I managed to get the hell outa there before those two Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109E's got a hold of me....

They had many of their other A's as well Wayne and Eduard's Weekend thingmabob A-5!
Have no idea who flew this "Black 13" though Wk. Nr. 2181....:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back