Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-10 Erla

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am a bit disappointed to be honest. I haven't seen any online builds using this particular set of Alley Cat upgrades but have read only positive things about the quality of Alley Cat products. I'm not the most experienced modeler but I think, given what you guys have stated (that the kit was specifically mastered for the Revell kit), the gap is more than sample variation. The difference in width between the Revell and Alley Cat pieces are 0.67mm on the starboard side and 0.79mm on the port side using digital calipers.

Here are a few more pictures showing the differences. Keep in mind that the pieces are dry-fitted with tape only and that actual fit could be a little better when using glue.

Starboard Wing - Revell
IMG_7742_zps9vfbkewn.jpg

Starboard Wing - Alley Cat
IMG_7741_zpsw0cssk6n.jpg

Port Wing - Revell
IMG_7738_zpswpftm53q.jpg

Port Wing - Alley Cat
IMG_7739_zps3jqao4au.jpg

Although the main obstacle lies in those visible gaps at the wing root and between the inner and outer wing panels, the front edge/back edge fit of the Alley Cat panels also has some issues.

Last edited:
I was hoping for a more of a throw-it-together type of build but that doesn't seem to be the case here. <sigh>

Some minor details to report. The aerial lead-in on the fuselage spine is a clear piece. After drilling out the hole, I couldn't get the clear piece to fit so I replaced with a piece of stretch sprue. I drilled a hole into the center to eventually accommodate the aerial. I'll punch a circular tape mask and cover this for the rest of the build.

IMG_7743_zpsongl99vz.jpg

IMG_7748_zpsucn9y4tu.jpg

The wing tips show a strange detail. It's supposed to represent some sort of tape but it's a little heavy for my tastes. Instead of getting rid of it altogether, I decided to shave it down to make it less obvious.

IMG_7744_zpsaupn6rqz.jpg

IMG_7745_zpstpdxxtio.jpg

There is an error in the kit instructions regarding the tail wheel. If you look at detailed drawings of the G-10, you'll see that the long tail wheel is in a slight different position than the short tail wheel.

284482.jpg

The Revell kit accounts for this difference and provides a second set of mounting holes to be use. The opening for the long tail wheel needs to be opened up to utilize these mounting holes. The instructions don't mention this. I had to perform a minor repair after drilling out the new hole.

IMG_7746_zpsypff1za8.jpg

The Alley Cat upgrade kit comes with two brass templates to correct two misplaced hatches.

IMG_7749_zpsio7ueeci.jpg

The first is a cockpit vent.

IMG_7752_zpslwern5do.jpg

IMG_7753_zpsqbcqck74.jpg

The second is a fuel fill hatch.

IMG_7754_zpskuwdumkj.jpg

IMG_7755_zpspo2lefjx.jpg

The Alley Cat prop blades have the right outline but the trailing edges are disappointingly thick. Easy fix though using a rounded X-Acto blade to shave the edge sharper.

IMG_7756_zpsqvyfvgja.jpg

IMG_7757_zpsbxitndfc.jpg

Jumping back to the cockpit for a bit... I can add the QuickBoost Revi 16 gunsights. They come with a little sheet of clear acetate so that you can cut out the optical glass pieces.

IMG_7758_zpsiowkxkhn.jpg

In the package, the gunsights don't look impressive at all... they are so small! But with paint and the acetate pieces mounted, the sight looks quite impressive. It really completes the instrument panel, I think. I added a wire for the electrical connection.

IMG_7760_zpsdypx0peg.jpg

Some molding defects in the smooth tire. The kit comes with three tire options so if cleanup here doesn't work, I can resort to a different type.
IMG_7761_zpsxv3ogcst.jpg

All of the supplied rudders have molded detail on them representative of a metal rudder. I wish Revell had supplied a wooden rudder but since they didn't, I will have to attempt to get rid of all of this molded detail.

IMG_7762_zps7o7fewi3.jpg

Good work so far. BTW, those radial 'mould lines' on the 'smooth' tyres are supposed to be there - they were on the real tyre.

Yes, and preserving them will be a challenge, especially with the molding defect present on both of those tires.

Gute Arbeit, Genossen!
What do you think the exhaust pipe? They are the manufacturer terrible!

Danke! The kit's exhaust pipes aren't very good but they aren't horrible either. Although I could do a fair job at hollowing them out myself, I've elected to replace them with resin pipes by Alley Cat.

IMG_7677_zpsuca2xaon.jpg

After pondering on the miscellaneous parts issues... the gaps caused by the small bulge wings... the molding defects on the smooth tires... I've decided to model the large bulge version of the G-10. The AM wings will not be used but they were not that great an expenditure (approx. $5 USD) so no big loss.

As for what particular aircraft I will be modeling, I've ruled out Red 8 Gisela as it has been quite clearly shown as a small wing bulge aircraft. Red 5 Timo Schenko will be my primary target. Although the BarracudaCal instructions specify this as a small wing bulge G-10, the one archive picture I've seen is not conclusive. The EagleCals instructions leave it up in the air by stating, "upper wing bulges not clear".

red+5+JG300.jpg

As a fall back, the EagleCals Erla sheet with Red 5 also has another blue-white-blue striped G-10, Black 11, that is listed as a large wing bulge G-10.

Black+11+Bf109G-10.jpg

I've started work on filling the sink marks on the large wing bulges.

Frustrating to be in a holding pattern on my two current builds. The Erla is being held up by the anticipated arrival of seatbelts. Once those are done, I can cobble the fuselage tub together and get the fuselage together. In the meantime, I am working on little odds and ends.

I've sanded off the detail on the rudder. But looking at my references and looking at the kit rudders has me thinking. The kit includes two rudders with the straight bottom edge. My references indicate that this is representative of the wooden rudder. Does the wooden rudder have external details visible in the form of taped seams? The molded detail are raised strips with sawtooth edges, which seem to be Revell's take on taped seams.
IMG_7766_zpseddhd0td.jpg

Since I have a spare rudder with the straight bottom edge, I pared down the tape detail a bit to compare. Which one is should I use?
IMG_7781_zpss0o3m1wu.jpg

I filled in the sink marks on the upper wing bulges with Milliput White and Mr Surfacer 1000. Milliput is very useful for this type of work since it is sculptable.
IMG_7769_zpst6qy8nww.jpg

IMG_7774_zps0lvdjc5a.jpg

The DF loop was cut off and replaced with a strip of soda can metal.
IMG_7775_zpsmkfowpxe.jpg

IMG_7776_zps3us96p5g.jpg

The drop tank will be modified slightly. The fuel lines will be cut off an replaced with appropriately sized wire. The molded strap will be cut off and replaced with another strip of soda can.
IMG_7777_zpspxqomf2g.jpg

The Alley Cat exhausts are individual pieces meant to be glued into a mounting strip. The advantage here is that the exhausts can be added AFTER the fuselage halves are joined in contrast to the kit exhausts. They are nicely molded with hollow tips and the prerequisite weld line present. These were painted in a multi-step process. First went a base coat of gloss back followed by a coat of Alclad Exhaust Manifold (a very dark metallic brown). A custom mix of red/brown/metallic brown was lightly applied to give the pipes a rusty look. Finally the tips were misted with a highly thinned black. I should've photographed them on another background as the white blows out the contrast between the different color applications.
IMG_7779_zpsopt0wf99.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in!

Great work John. Pics of Black 11 clearly show extended wing bulges. Agree that Red 5 pic is inconclusive. I have no pics of the rudders of either one so can't offer anything on your question. WNr on Black 11 is likely speculative.

I found a slip from the postman at my door. I guess they tried to deliver my RB Productions seatbelts while I was out. Instead of leaving them at my door, I'll have to wait til Monday to go to the post office to pick the package up. Grrrrr.... :evil:

Inching my way along with the details. I got the landing gear started with some paint. I think I'm going with Black 11 so the gear legs were given a splash of red. The multi-part legs clean up nicely and I rather like them now. Not a bad deal Revell!
IMG_7791_zps0eorqb8g.jpg

The wheels went together very nicely. Outside of a few spots here and there, I am quite impressed with the fit of this Revell kit. The wheels come in two halves and you'd think you'd lose the fine rib detail but that's not the case due to the terrific fit. With careful use of a sharp knife, I was able to clean the joint AND keep the ribs more or less intact.
IMG_7792_zpshekybra9.jpg

The tires were sprayed a mixture of gray/black while the rims were shot in black using a circle drafting template as a mask. I've used this method on a couple of builds and it works quite well.
IMG_7793_zpsje4lsdvd.jpg

Added some placard decals from the spares box to dress up the gear legs.
IMG_7794_zpsolavgr3q.jpg

Monday will be seatbelt day... looking forward to "assembling" the fabric seatbelts.

Thanks Andy! It's a little bit of both. I used a base coat of black for the gear covers. The outside was sprayed Alclad Aircraft Aluminum and the inside was sprayed Tamiya RLM Grey. The grey is highly thinned so that I can use the black as a pre-shade around edges and details. Afterwards, I gave the inside details a water-based pastel wash of dark brown. Those little rivets are like velcro and catch alot of paper towel fiber when wiping the pastel wash off.

Decals added to the wheels. These will eventually be sealed, weathered and sealed again.
IMG_7797_zpstlqqcfc1.jpg

A side view of the wheels to show how the tire ribbing was preserved... the fit was really good!
IMG_7798_zpsd8wx0k8d.jpg

Can't say the same about the Alley Cat parts, unfortunately. Dry fitting the clear parts revealed a big step between the front edge of the windscreen and back edge of the Alley Cat gun cowling.
IMG_7802_zpsazjf0vdc.jpg

IMG_7809_zpsqqp5z8jl.jpg

It looks like a shape problem with the Alley Cat cowling piece. The kit cowling has a curve which matches the windscreen. The AC part is noticeably flatter.
IMG_7804_zps7esilsbj.jpg

Comparatively, I found the kit cowling to fit almost perfectly.
IMG_7807_zpsjuq8thf2.jpg

IMG_7808_zpsagqq5qci.jpg

I'm going to use the kit cowling and put the Alley Cat cowling in the same bag as the small bulge wings. I admit that I am a novice when it comes to resin parts so I'm not sure how to rate these fit issues. Is this par for the course when it comes to aftermarket resin? I was expecting better fit especially if these pieces were mastered specifically for the Revell G-10 kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back