Revell 1/32 Mosquito IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You can order direct from 21st Century, Daniel, but I don't know what the shipping cost will be from the 'States. I found them on Google, just entered the name and bingo! They've got some interesting stuff. I'll see if I can find a Corsair in the U.K.
Terry.

Nah Catch 1/32 ,21st centuary seem to be the best option for building a Corsair in that scale

Can you get 1/18 Corsair kits?

Thanks heaps Terry

:oops: I mean fiddley lift augmentation devices !

Well other than running out of Tamiya putty today - can't imagine why ?
The flaps now take the next dimension.

DSC05502.JPG

That is now they are cut out from the mould and I need them displayed at 60 degree (full flap) position it exposes the inside workings of the wing training edge.
So using scrap moulding for bulk filler and the putty I have managed to get an inside section of a flap extension spar and some texturing on which to run fuel vent inter connect tubes, push rod ends and other wires which travel along the rear spar.

DSC05506.JPG

The gap which is exposed along the top trailing edge will be about 1/8th inch so some detail will still be visible (in the right light and the right angle) but I know it will be done - that is all that counts.

DSC05507.JPG

Also detached the elevators - filled the leading edge of them and the training edge of the horizontal stabiliser.

The rudder is now split and about 10 degrees with a match stick slither to ensure strength.

Another 6 hours of frustation but worthwhile work.

Now I know why I dabble in the large scales :twisted:

When you start a modification - the more research you do the more work you find.,

Anyway that makes the model take soo much time and it become more than just a plastic kit.

The Revel Mk IV is with straight Rolls Engines - there is an addtionaly air intakes just below the prop in the griffon model.

DSC05512.JPG

Using a little Miliput (Never seen it before let olone used it - must have gold dust in it or something) I moulded two intakes into the nacelle.

DSC05511.JPG

Then after some sanding (right down to 100 Grit to shape - finishing in 600 wet/dry) and some gouging out of basic nacelle shape managed to get my intakes looking something close to the real thing.

DSC05514.JPG

:mad: Gee I love sanding - I suppose with modification come the penalty for sanding - or perhaps Revell has stock options with 'Bear' sandpaper.

Anyway initial coat of paint is fast approaching (undercoat) so sand we must.

DSC05513.JPG

The Horizontal stabilsers and vertical/Rudder were attached and manutrally puttied into place - more sanding.

DSC05516.JPG

The holes in the rear/Flap drag spar were supposed to be in line but a little helper caught my attention. (Oh well - it is personalised now)

DSC05515.JPG

:D the first coat and all the putty evidence disappears.
Gee that is better - I was sick of looking at green and white.

Anyway - a coat of Model Master Matt Light Sea Grey covered all the grot.

DSC05521.JPG

Now is starting to look a little better. All the hi and low areas are evident thanks to the paint - so more sanding will follow over the next few building days.

DSC05518.JPG

A problem I always have with sanding if trying not to rub away too much adjoining detail - but as usual to get laminar joints many rivet heads or panel lights get removed.:(

Arond the wing root with the engine nacelle is the main area which need more detail having sandined a lot of it away.

DSC05517.JPG

So next with a heated stanley blade will be redrawing panel lines and pin pricking rivets where needed. The engine nacelle of course have quite a few grills to provide cooling.

Scrap building again.

Oil and Hydraulic tanks from old parts and 8 amp and 15 amp fuse wire for hydraulic and fuel lines.

Not finished here yet - background painted then still in raw prior to touch up and detail painting with 000 brush.:twisted:

Right Side
DSC05519.JPG

Left Side
DSC05520.JPG

Coming along very nicely. That green plastic is awful, don't know why they keep using it; the kit I had years ago was a pale blue/grey, much easier to work with!

Yeah that must be annoying

Modelling with lighter plastics is so much easier

Nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back