Revell 1/32 Mosquito IV (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

petadel

Airman
Aug 31, 2008
Cairns QLD
From 'On the workbench'

DSC05380.JPG

A running story on the build.

Construction day one:!:

After a look over the model and finding it is large but lack much detail. The cockpit consisted of 7 parts. Nothing for the fuselage sides other than fine molld formings

DSC05381.JPG

A few hours was spent scrap building, throttle quadrant levers, prismatic compass stand, wiring galore, side (stealth) cockpit lighting, spare O2 bottles below observer seat, a touch of paint and splash of colour and now we're starting to get somewhere.

DSC05489.JPG

The landing gear is in error - the mudgaurd require holes in the side to reduce weight and there is no crossmember depicted between the spring oleos.

mlg.jpg

So with some 10 amp fuse wire the crossmembers created and brake lines from the base of the spring oleos to the gear hub. Again surprised by the lack of detail for such a kit.

DSC05493.JPG

I keep forgetting it is a 1972 Revel

Whilst this will be a PR 41 model powered with a Rolls Royce Griffon. I have used the engine given until I can make some bigger rocker cover cases. Fortunately there was space in the Mark IV engine bay to allow for the larger engine - only just:!:

A very simple build from the plan again:rolleyes:

DSC05484.JPG

A splash of paint and some fuse wire and the hi tension leads are done

DSC05487.JPG

Even toothpick painting is a challenge I have not done for years - still with a black water colour wash next build day it will all blend together.:!:

That's excellent, Petadel, and quick! Only one minor point, if you don't mind. If it isn't too late, bin the kit seat, and scratch-build a new one, with the separate armoured back-plate, from plastic card. It had a folding, leather padded arm rest on the right (starboard) side. It's fairly straight forward, and you can use the kit part as a basic pattern. From experience of the same kit, it will look so much better. BTW, under the pilots seat, there was a 'relief' tank, virtually square, un-painted aluminium/ s.steel, roughly 8 or 10 inches dimensions. This had a 'relief tube' coming from it, which was attached by a clip to the underside of the seat. The 'pilot's' end of the tube had a cup-like nozzle (with cap!), that looked rather like an up-ended bottle, without the neck, and this was either aluminium or stainless steel. The hose was dark (black) rubber. It was visible from the floor hatch.
Hope you don't mind this observation.
Terry.

Thanks Guys - yes I had a concern over the seat - I have a great shot of one so will amend it.
As for the 'piss-a-phone' another piece of flattened fuse wire should fix that.

Well a few days have gone past with a bit here and there.

The Fuselage went together as did the wings - however I removed the flaps prior to the joining as I wanted a 'dirty' looking static display.

Yes it does break the astetic lines a little but not much more than having the gear hanging out.

The fuselage required quite a lot of filler especially along the bomb bay doors.
This I find annoying as all the access panels will need to be redrawn following the hefty sanding. But that is life.:rolleyes:

Filler nacelles.jpg

The flaps also require filling and drilling to display the framers within - this will shown a little better when covered with a undercoat.

The engine nacelles were almost razor sharp behind the gear wheel - so the old putty comes in real handy. Also into the nacelle and wing join.

DSC05500.JPG

I have bent the ailerons for 'unlocked controls' but fogot to cut the elevators and rudder - so a hot knife will fix them later. The elevator must hang unless external lock pins where in place and the rudder shall also be off set.

Progressing slowly.

Nice Progress

wish I could say the same about my corsair ,I ran out of cutting disks the other day for my grinder so its currently delayed

No excuse Daniel, use your teeth!
Nah, there's no rush mate, you probably need a break anyway. BTW, saw some pics of the 21st Century Corsair, and it looked good to me, although I'm not up on detailed knowledge of the type.

Haha Terry,you make me laugh-ended up starting on wings

If one comes up on trademe il proberly buy it

I went into town couple of days ago to try and find one without success

Users who are viewing this thread

Back