Revell 1/32 P-38 Kit #4774

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with Paul. And as Wojtek would say "Modelling is not a race" - so slow down, take it steady, step by step, and you'll get sorted.
Yes, you can build, paint and decal a model in a day - but if you want a good model, it takes quite a bit longer!

You guys are right. It's so hard to stop when your right into the mix of it. I fell like I drove 1000 miles just to get t-boned pulling into the driveway. Well this is it done. I did not try and fix the fidly bits. I guess it is ok for my 1st attempt.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    728.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    658 KB · Views: 71
Not too bad. If you're looking for honest feedback, I'll offer this:

Spend more time dry-fitting parts before gluing them and when filling is needed, go easy and work in stages. The filling you did on the underside booms is quite noticeable (accentuated with silver paint) and more sanding would have helped the appearance. It helps to apply the putty, sand, coat with primer or light paint, see what still needs fixing, and then repeat this until you get a smooth finish.

The insignia decal, as Wojtek pointed out, is upside down but also, the black and white stripes near the radiators on the underside aren't spaced quite right either (the white should be at the front). Using decals for "bumpy" areas like this is, in my opinion, not worth the bother, and often tear or wrinkle so I mask and paint stuff like this. The uppers look not too bad at all.

CR, I appreciate your honesty,I did kind of rush things along instead of taking my time.I just got too exited and wanted to get it done(bad idea). Well I did learn a lot from this and I have decided that I am not ready to tackle the 1/32 p-38. So with your expertize which of these guys should I attempt for my next mission? They are 1/32 Revell from the early 90's. I picked them up for$15 off of Craigs List here in Toronto. The MK.1 was started,but it looks like they only painted some parts BTW is there a putty that is easier to sand than Milliput silver/grey? The stuffs like concrete. The 1/32 Trumpeter Swordfish,my dad did at 84. Definite insperation to reach for. Let me know.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    847.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    539.1 KB · Views: 60
If I recall correctly, all those kits are of about equal complexity. If that Tiffie is the same one I built many years ago, it's a pretty forgiving build.

The P-38 looks very nice. However I would like to mention the fact that you should remeber about for the future. If you are going to make a model of NMF , a silver, aluminium or other metalic colours have "no mercy" and emphasise all imperfections of surface ( scratches, small gaps, seams , etc...). These always have a greater impact on the final effect.

Wurger, I think the 1/32 p-38 is too much for me at this point,do you think I should give the 1/32 Revell Spit a go?

Wurger do you think I should give the 1/32 Revell Spit a go?

If you ask me about whether you should start the assembling I echo Andy's post above. Why not? There is nothing to lose. These 5 bucks are nothing comparing to a price of a new model you would have to use for training and getting better skill level.

The Spit is a good one to start with for this scale. It's an old kit (the first of the 1/32nd scale kits issued, as mentioned in my reply in your other thread), and pretty basic in parts, but can be made into a good model.
The good thing about this kit is it is simple and straightforward to build - it was designed for a modelling market which was much different than today's, where inexperienced modellers, kids, and the more 'serious' modeller could all benefit. At one end of the scale, the kids could turn out an acceptably attractive, large model/toy, and at the other end of the scale, the 'serious' modeller could add detail and correct things to their hearts content, to produce a good display piece.
Consequently, the assembly stages are well laid out and easy to follow, and there are little, if any, tricky bits. After all these years, the moulds will probably have suffered a bit, which may lead to the a few gaps or slightly ill-fitting parts, but don't worry about that. Take each stage slowly and carefully - there's absolutely no need to rush - and if you think you need help or advice, just ask, someone is bound to help.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, to use Wojtek's saying "Modelling is not a race" - and he's right. It's a hobby, and an enjoyable one which is creative and provides a sense of achievement at the end of each build.
Anyone who wants a completed model within an hour of opening the box shouldn't really be wasting their money on kits which are forever increasing in price - a fully assembled and painted die cast is the answer for an instant shelf ornament.
Once you get into the swing of things, and learn by mistakes (it happens to us all), the experience and skills will develop quicker than you might think, and it won't be long before you notice that your own models are getting better all the time.
In a way, it's a little like driving - you don't have your very first driving lesson, then immediately hope to enter, and win, a F1 Grand Prix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back