Revell B-17F 'Memphis Belle' 1/48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice looking B17 Andy my father served it the ETO originally went with the 92sq which seperated and went to an OTU unit I think the 93(?).Cheers Kevin

Finally managed to get some more of this build done this week. She is now fully assembled and had a coat of light grey to act as a primer. Will try to take some pics later on. Need to find the charger for the camera.As its my birthday day, I received the Airfix 1/350th HMS Illustrious from the misses, so I can't wait to start on that. She's quiet a biggie. lol

G'day Andy,
doing a great job... just so happens I had this kit on backorder and it arrived today, looking forward to it after seeing your progress

cheers
pete

Ok as promised here are some pics I took the other day. Please be gentle with me after seeing them lol

The top under coat needs another coat before I can start mixing the colours for the final scheme. The reason why there is only 3 engines on the sucker is because 1 fell off yesterday . They where an awkward fit, so I guess I didn't put enough cement on. Another boo-boo I did was before I glues the fuselage together, I forgot to fit the left side front gun, . I tried fitting it before I fitted the front clear section, but the spacing was just too tight. I will just have to cut off the barrel and glue it from the outside I guess.

Andy

Attachments

• Dscf5417.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Dscf5418.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Dscf5419.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Dscf5420.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Dscf5421.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Andy,
doing a great job... just so happens I had this kit on backorder and it arrived today, looking forward to it after seeing your progress

cheers
pete

Glad it turned up Pete. Its a nice kit. Basic mind you but nice. The B-17G is a lot more detailed from what I have read and seen. Enjoy you kit. I know I am.

Looks Ok from what I can see, but the pics are too big. Got to scroll back and forth to see them!
It's identical in the main parts to the B17G kit, and both kits' parts fit each other. With the exception of the obvious detail differences in the 'G', this kit is basically the same as the 'F', with extra interior detail ... oh, and a bomb trolley and figures!

Thanks guys. I did my first top colour coat last night. Need to do another coat today and then I will take some more pics. 2 of the engines keep falling off, no matter how much paint I put on. It's driving me nuts.

Not too bad. But I agree with Airframes these shots were too large. I have resized them down. Let me remind our Mod's Team has asked many times for resizing pictures before posting.

Last edited:
Sorry about the pics. I did resize them before uploading. They were originally 2 meg in size. Don't know what happened when I uploaded them. I'll double check next time before uploading.

Andy

Nothing wrong with these large pictures, but re-sizing down allows to save some room on the server HDD. Smaller shots are better for a screen scrolling and are seen fully on displays. As a result the forum works better and faster.
You have said you resized them from 2MGbit in size.This is a size of a picture file (JPG for instance.).But it is not we want to see here. A pic size means its width and hight in pixels. Orginally your pictures above were of more than 2000 pixels in the width. So I have had to reduce it to 800 pixels. Please read the thread..

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/announcements/image-sizing-guidelines-24388.html#post719418

Just noticed the areas around where the engine should mount. They appear to be painted over, which will be preventing the cement from working properly, hence the reason the engines keep falling off. Clean-up the 'ridges' and the 'pin' on the nacelles, and the inner edge of the cowlings and engine mounting holes, and they should then stay put.

It's looking great! Nice work. When it comes to waist and nose guns I sometimes leave them out until the build is almost done, then attach them from the outside. So I don't think forgetting one is much of a mistake. When I've attached them early-on, I always managed to break a few off during the painting process anyway.

Finally managed to do some more on my 1st model. Spent yesterday painting and I think it's turned out a lot better than I expected it too. Here are some photo's of my progess.

Attachments

• DSCF5464.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF5463.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF5462.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF5461.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF5460.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF5465.JPG