Revell B-17F 'Memphis Belle' 1/48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff. You should find that there might be a slight gap on the underside of the wings, with the top joints nipped up well, when the dihedral is set. I've built both kits (F and G), and seem to remember there were few joint problems.
You should be able to add the ball turret after painting, by gently pushing it up until it 'clicks' into place. It should be partly recessed into the fusleage. Also, the 'F' rarely flew with the radio room window hatch in place - this was normally open, the glazing removed.

Good stuff. You should find that there might be a slight gap on the underside of the wings, with the top joints nipped up well, when the dihedral is set. I've built both kits (F and G), and seem to remember there were few joint problems.
You should be able to add the ball turret after painting, by gently pushing it up until it 'clicks' into place. It should be partly recessed into the fusleage. Also, the 'F' rarely flew with the radio room window hatch in place - this was normally open, the glazing removed.

Yeah I thought so too. The fuselage is glued, and the ball turret is in place. I have masked the radio room window by mistake, put I don't intend to fit it. I've already had to fit a window in place of the left hand side waist gunner, due to the fact that the gun is broken. It came like that in the kit. :cry::cry::cry:

If you can't repair the gun, let me know. I've probably got a suitable spare you can have. The waist 'windows' on the 'F' were open, no glazing. There was a hatch with a window, which slid along tracks inside the fuselage, but these were generally only closed on the ground, to stop all the wonderful British sun from streaming in when parked !

Looking good! going to have to get my butt in gear with this B-29 that's been sitting around since before summer, been SOOO nice around here every weekend and the lake and boat keep calling me away. been putting off winterizing probably be doing it in the snow at this rate

Thanks guys. I've been looking at some of your models Wayne, and I have to say, I'm most impressed. They look soooo real and authentic. I can only hope that I can get even a little be as good as you. Then I'll be happy. Got along way to go before I can achieve that though. I'm not looking forward to painting the plane itself proper to tell the truth. I havn't got an airbrush (don't even know how to use one), so I've got to rely on using brushes, and I just know its going to turn out C**P.

Thanks guys. I've been looking at some of your models Wayne, and I have to say, I'm most impressed. They look soooo real and authentic. I can only hope that I can get even a little be as good as you. Then I'll be happy. Got along way to go before I can achieve that though. I'm not looking forward to painting the plane itself proper to tell the truth. I havn't got an airbrush (don't even know how to use one), so I've got to rely on using brushes, and I just know its going to turn out C**P.

NO! You can get an excellent result with spray cans and masking, it doesn't have to be crap! Here's one of my in-progress B-25s, all done with cans, look mom, no brush marks...

plane1.jpg

Last edited:
I've built both of the B17 kits, one finished in Olive Drab/Neutral Grey, and the B17G in bare metal. Both were brush-painted without problems. Get rid of those negative waves and think positive ..... the brush painting will work if you make it work !!

Airframes, which paints did you use for your B-17???? If possible I'd much prefer to get the correct colour, rather that having to mix some.

On the B17F, I used Humbrol enamels. It was 20 years ago, so I can't remember exactly, but I probably mixed Humbrol No. 30 Dark Green with No. 29 Dark Earth, to get a slightly faded Olive Drab. The neutral grey would have also been mixed to suit. The kit wasn't built as the 'Belle', but as another 'F' from, I think, the 91st BG, with altered cheek windows and other mods. The B17G again used Humbrol enamels, with Silver No.11, and various mixes to alter shades of panels. I no longer have the ''F', or pics, but can post a pic of the still unfinished 'G' if it'll help?
For Olive Drab, it's normally much easier, and better, to mix, as this colour was notorious for weathering and fading, and could vary from fresh, dark green, to a sandy colour, to almost purple!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back