Rifles and Machineguns of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Thompson might weigh more, however thats no problemo for me, but its far more handy to shoot with than the PPSH, IMO.

NEVER use the mag as a foregrip, you'll get stoppages; one of the reasons why the Sten got such a poor reputation was because of the ill-trained using it incorrectly. The same goes for any magazine-fed weapon.

It is usually OK to hold a weapon by the magazine housing, like with the MP40 or MP44. The Sten's housing rotated however and it did have a foregrip, very crude - but then so was the entire weapon!:lol:

I still say that if I have to have an SMG, I'd take a Patchett. Quite a handy weapon, and I like having the mag out on the side - keeps you nice and close to the ground!

(For info, the Patchett is little more than an early Sterling - which is not a bad weapon, as SMGs go.)

It is usually OK to hold a weapon by the magazine housing, like with the MP40 or MP44. The Sten's housing rotated however and it did have a foregrip, very crude - but then so was the entire weapon!:lol:

Are you talking about where you slide the magazine into the weapon. That is okay but if you hold it by the magazine itself not it is not. If you do so, you change the position of the rounds and how they enter the gun at a different angle which causes the weapon to jam. That is true of all guns that are magazine fed.

Are you talking about where you slide the magazine into the weapon. That is okay but if you hold it by the magazine itself not it is not. If you do so, you change the position of the rounds and how they enter the gun at a different angle which causes the weapon to jam. That is true of all guns that are magazine fed.

Well at least all crappy designed/worn out guns that are magazine fed. :)

Not all weapons jam when you hold them by the magazine, however I wouldn't be surprised if a Russian made weapon jams under such treatment as they usually don't fit exactly together. The Stg.44 was often held by the mag or just above as it enabled you to press the weapon more firmly to your shoulder, but it hardly ever jammed.

I had a PPSh41 at one stage, and while it was actually pretty well made - sorry - the drum mag was such a tight fit you could hardly get the bl**dy thing off. Potentially embarassing in a firefight.

I had a PPSh41 at one stage, and while it was actually pretty well made - sorry - the drum mag was such a tight fit you could hardly get the bl**dy thing off. Potentially embarassing in a firefight.

Sounds odd it should jam because of it then, being that tight. Anyways the guns internals is often the place where the Russian ones don't fit like a glove - not only yhe AK-47 has this problem.

How would you rate the 7.65mm round for combat use btw ndicki ??

I own many magazine fed weapons and have yet to find one that binds with a hand on the magazine. For what it's worth.

7.65x17, you mean? No idea, never used it. Skorpions get good press, that's about all I can say.

Or did you mean 7.62x25 Tokarev?

7.65x17, you mean? No idea, never used it. Skorpions get good press, that's about all I can say.

Or did you mean 7.62x25 Tokarev?

Whoops, sorry, meant the 7.62x25 Tokarev - remembered it as 7.65mm though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back