Rifles and Machineguns of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Basis for the G3 perhaps? The roller locking system is attributed to greater recoil upon the user based upon its physics. One reason why it never really caught on as an assault rifle basis.

Actually the first rifle in use after the WW2 the roller locking device was the spanish CETME in the earliy 1950 because one of the german Mauser technicians went to work to that country.

An then yes in the G-3 7,62mm.

stg45.jpg

g3stg45strip.jpg

CETMEs

704.gif

Attachments

• stg45.jpg
    stg45.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 24
  • g3stg45strip.jpg
    g3stg45strip.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 32
I read a story somewhere that in fact the US Army was so impressed with the MG42 - difficult not to be! - that they did attempt to copy it just after the war. The problem was that the design plans were metric, and had to be converted into Imperial measurements for use by US manufacturers. However, it seems that there were some problems with the conversion, and that although a couple of guns were produced, they suffered terribly from jamming, stoppages, etc, owing to the difference in parts tolerances. Also, the 30-06 ammo used was not ideal, or something.

It may even be true - no idea!

Also, the feed system of the MG42 was combined with the gas system of the Bren gun/BAR to produce the FN MAG / L7 GPMG, which along with the MG3 is one of the most successful post-war Western machine guns.

The did try to copy it with 30-06 ammo. It was called the T24 but there was some design flaw and it was cancelled after one prototype was built.

They also develop a copy of the Luftwaffe automatic rifle FG-42 wich were designated T-44, let see if I get some pictures of this.

That T44 pic is interesting.

Here's a decent link on Assault rifle history:

ASSAULT RIFLES AND THEIR AMMUNITION:

- note the MKb35.

I'm interested in the Taden GPMG and EM1 LSW. Any more info on either would be appreciated.

There is (or was) a picture on Wikipedia of the Fedorov Avtomat SMG and LMG - kinda the pre-WW1 equivalent of the AKSU and RPK.

Sorry, I would have, but the handguns thread has become a little mean spirited with the big 9mm vs. .45 debate.
ANYWAYS, back to rifles, It would be difficult to strip the STG 44 title of father of all assault rifles in so far as it coined the term.

Naw that is normal around here. It gets mean spirited but we all drink a vertual beer at the end of the day. Dont worry about that thread. No one will bite your head off.

Interesting article in THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN several months ago about American infantry in WW2 taking 30 cal machine guns from fighter aircraft and bombers and adapting them for ground use. If memory serves the aircraft weapon had a rate of fire of 1200 rpm whereas our standard A6 air cooled 30 cal was about 600 rpm. I think also the aircraft weapon used a 220 gr bullet at about 2600fps. The article stated that the ground troops installed a shoulder stock on it and used it very effectively. Seems like it would have compared favorably with the MG42. Anyone shed light on this? I no longer have that issue of TAR.

220gr bullet in .30-06 during WWII? Not very likely. MilSpec was 150-174gr if I recall correctly. Most being M2 ball at 150gr. And certainly we are not talking about .50cal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back