RIP Elmer Ward (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I read on the AAFO Hangar Talk board that Elmer Ward has passed away. Most everyone who has been to Chino will remember him, and his most noticeable airplane, the P-51 "Man O War"

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=1390&page=2&pp=10&highlight=elmer+ward

Rest well, Elmer, and thanks for all the great memories. :salute:

DSC_7247.jpg

:salute:

I would like to announce another loss, but it isn't allowing me to start a new thread. We lost a Hurricane at the Shoreham Air Show with the pilot, Brian Brown from Doncaster. The aircraft had been 'scrambled' to intercept two Bf 109s in a mock fight. It then split from formation and dived into a hill, investigations are going on.

In Britain we've lost 8 pilots in 17 years in vintage aircraft; the last incident was 2003 when two Royal Navy crew were killed when their Firefly crashed at Duxford.

Pilot dies in Hurricane crash at show | the Daily Mail

We've got a bigger article in the local newspaper...as I live in Doncaster. But I can't find it on the net.

THat stinks a lot of times the planes capabilities arent as good as they were 60 yrs ago........Sad

I tend to disagree with that. Warbirds today are better maintained and looked after than they were 60 years ago. Unfortunately, things break sometimes. But that does not mean that they are not any better or worse than they were originally. Look in a cockpit of one of the warbirds that fly today. Some of the instruments are updated and the radios are certainly not original. In many ways, the ones of today are in better shape.

nice photo of the 51. i think that 51ds and 47ns and f4u are the best planes we had:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back