RLM

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
On a Ju-87 D-5 Revell says the cockpit is Dark Grey.... what RLM color it that?

I am not starting, just curious since I was looking at the directs.

Use of RLM 66 (dark grey) was mandated by a release of a 1941 update of the specifications. Previous version of 1938 required cockpit interiors to be RLM 02 light grey except for the instument panel which was to be RLM 66 for anti glare reasons. This is from "Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945" by Ullmann.

Dirk's right. It depends on the year that your machine was built. If your machine is Battle of Britain vintage or earlier then almost certainly go with the 02.

RLM66 was indeed mandated by an order in 1941 (November I think) and this is a good guide line. There is plenty of evidence for its use in interiors much earlier. Certainly early Ju88s in 1940 had cockpit interiors in 66 and not 02 and they were not alone.As with all things Luftwaffe try and find a good reference for your aircraft or ones built around the same time by the same contractor. Different contractors were interpreting orders diffrently!
If all else fails fall back on the guide line.
Look on the bright side, noone is right or wrong.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back