Robin Olds SCAT XXVII - Phantom F-4C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, going further on my research on Robin Olds Phantoms, I found that he used at least three machines with tail codes: FP 680, FP 668 and FG 829.
The latter is very well documented and was the last flown by Robin Olds, instead the first is the one of Operation Bolo.
So if I go ahead with the idea of doing FP 680, I need to make my own decals or masks, therefore my question is: does anybody know the standard, if any, to be used to replicate those letters and numbers? Many thanks in advance. Alberto

Yes, it would be surely a very good idea, but so far I had no luck at all in finding those decals, I will keep trying.

Microscale, as well as Xtradecal (printed by Microscale), and others, do (or did) sheets of USAAF / USAF angled numbers and letters. Have a look at Hannants web site, I think they probably still have them.

Thanks Terry for your suggestion, but I did that search already, nothing good. In facts I sent the whole afternoon doing a drawing for the mask, tomorrow I will try to plot it. Based on the result I will decide, may be I will stay with FG 829, I've plenty of decals for her.

Many thanks Furbar, after your suggestion I've found these on Italy's ebay, coming from Ucraina! I will buy them, cost isn't too much.
Alberto

Hello everybody, I've don some more work on this model. I decided to start with the tail section that I think will be less delicate to handle while painting camouflage.
So, after priming, following my procedure for NMF with KCOLORS paints, I masked and sprayed the tail section with X100 gloss white.
Then I masked all details that will remain in the clear metal tone, including the 94 bolts (picture 1 and 2).
After I sprayed with X100 gloss black (pics 3&4) and took away all masking (5&6)
During coming weekend I should be able to start with NMF.
Any comment and/or suggestion is very welcome.
Alberto

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody!
I just realised that I didn't updated you on this buikd.
In facts, after I completed the Thunderjet, I dedicated some time to the Phantom as well.
Here following some pictured on the various stages of panting the camou.
Hope you like them.
Alberto

Attachments

• 17-03-2018 a.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 18-03-2018 a.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 18-03-2018 b.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 158
It looks very good, Alberto;

I was intrigued with the result of the tail section. It was a new procedure for me;
Can you share some photos ?.

I send you greetings.
Luís Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread